Rovers maintain title push

Langford Rovers away win at Shirehampton keeps them on track for the title.

Shirehampton 0

Langford Rovers 3

AFTER a midweek draw away at Odd Down, Rovers produced a superb display at their Bristol rivals to maintain their title ambitions.

Starting brightly Rovers moved the ball round well and made use of wide men Grant Giles and Olly Bliss. Swift interchanges in the opening five minutes gave Ross Neads a half chance before a fine move gave Langford the lead on 10 minutes.

You may also want to watch:

Mark Brown started the move and his long ball was flicked on by Leigh White for Neads to drill home from 15 yards.

Rovers looked comfortable on the ball with the impressive Rich Park controlling their flowing moves from midfield. It was Park who played a role in Rovers’ second goal, linking up with Bliss and Neads to set up White who finished low from 10 yards out.

Most Read

The home side had few chances with Adi Marshman and James Marshall controlling the back line. Their two best chances saw Jamie Crandon save smartly and Brown clear off the line from a corner kick.

Rovers added the crucial third, with Neads finishing another move involving White, after missing an easier chance minutes earlier.

The second period saw stalemate with White and Ellis having long shots and Giles twice going close. At the other end, Crandon made two smart saves but the back line held firm for a clean sheet and a crucial three points.

Rovers entertain Wincanton in the Somerset Cup quarter-final on Saturday.

Weston St Johns 0

Cleeve 0

SAINTS endured a frustrating afternoon as they were held 0-0 by a battling Cleeve side.

Saints dominated the game but wayward finishing cost them the win. The visitors had most of the early play, but without really threatening keeper Joe Malik’s goal.

Saints gradually took control of the game and came close to opening the scoring when Jack Clark saw his thunderous strike beat the keeper, but crash back off the crossbar.

Saints continued to create chances with Ross Stockhall and James Wotton and both testing the keeper. Saints defenders Mitch Smit, Alex Read, Dave Wilcox and James Bennellick dealt comfortably with the rare Cleeve counter attacks to leave the half-time score 0-0.

The second half was more of the same with Mark Adams and Nick Jones and leading the way, but again wayward shooting by Stockhall and Clark and two superb saves by the Cleeve keeper kept the game scoreless.

Midway through the half, Danny Sprague had the best chance of the game, but he fired over the bar. Near the end Cleeve came close to stealing the points, but Malik saved well following a goalmouth scramble.

Mike Whittaker Building player of the match was Mitch Smit.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus