Rovers on top in derby

Langford Rovers defeated Weston St Johns 3-1 in the quarter-finals of the cup.

Langford Rovers 3

Weston St Johns 1

ROVERS progressed to the divisional cup semi-finals with a hardfought win over local rivals Weston St Johns.

Rovers started brightly and took the lead shortly after when a Kyle Havard cross-shot was prodded home by Ross Neads. St Johns rallied and levelled within five minutes were level when a corner by Jack Clark was forced home by Mark Adams.

You may also want to watch:

St Johns were defending deep and nullifying the threat of Ryan Havard, but as half-time was closing in, a push on Leigh White allowed James Marshall to net his 10th of the season from the penalty spot.

The second period saw the game open up. Neads struck the post early on before Leigh White was sent through only to see his shot saved by Ian Allchorne in the Saints goal.

Most Read

Havard saw his lob hit the bar before Olly Bliss’ goalbound effort was blocked. At the other end Jamie Crandon had a quiet afternoon, although St Johns had a number of shots by Ryan Hodrien and Ross Stockhall.

The game was sealed late on when Levi Marlow hit a post and the superb Joe Ellis completed a fine game by netting the rebound.

Saints’ Mike Whittaker Building man of the match was Dave Wilcox.

Rovers are back to league action this weekend with a tough fixture at home to Berrow.

Westlands 1

Wrington-Redhill 6

WITH both sides missing a number of key players, it was Wrington who had the strength in depth to take all three points returning them to the top of the division.

Wrington took the lead in the third minute through Graham Cheeseman. His second came soon after with a powerful header from Tempan’s cross.

The goal of the game came five minutes later when Nick Curtis won the ball on his own dead ball line and started a six-man passing move which was coolly finished by Neil Andow.

Andow then scored his second and completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot having been bundled over in the area.

After the break, Westlands continued to battle and were rewarded with a goal from a far post header being forced home from close range. Not to be outgunned, Cheeseman completed the scoring and his hat-trick on 85 minutes, heading home from a Tom Johnson cross.

ALS Lock & Key man of the match was captain Mark Andow.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus