Rovers’ promotion hopes all but over

Soccer Clevedon Utdv Weston St Johns

Soccer Clevedon Utdv Weston St Johns - Credit: Archant

Langford Rovers promotion hopes were all but ended with a defeat by Staplegrove.

Langford Rovers 0

Staplegrove 3

FIELDING a side decimated by injury and unavailability, Langford Rovers put up a brave fight against title challengers Staplegrove and effectively ended their own promotion hopes.

Missing a host of players, including William Sneddon-Coombes, Rovers dominated first-half possession, but could not convert time on the ball into chances against a well-marshalled visitors’ back line.

You may also want to watch:

Sneddon-Coombes was called up by Weston for their Vanarama Conference South trip to Bromley and ended up making his debut as a sustitute. All at Langford Rovers are proud of him and congratulate him on his progression.

Staplegrove took the lead minutes before the interval when a clearance put their striker through on goal.

Most Read

The second half was a similar story with Langford keeping hold of the ball well, but they were unable to break through a stubborn defence.

As the Bulls pushed up in search of an equaliser, it left them vulnerable at the back and two mistakes led to two further goals.

Good performances came from Daniel Hartley, Patrick Riddell, Glenville Hayer and Warren Collins, but the man of the match award, kindly sponsored by Edge Barbers, went to Mateusz Trybull.

Manager Jamie Patterson in his first managerial job will be immensely proud of the platform that his club has provided for young talent across Weston and the North Somerset area.

Langford have had the youngest average age of any team competing in all five divisions of the Somerset County League this campaign and have seen Sneddon-Coombes, Zemell Burton, Jake Buxton, Warren Collins, Tyler Davis, Kailan Gould, Daniel Jackson, George King, Callum Kingdon and Ryan Scott all go on to play at a higher level.

Nailsea Town 1

Winscombe 4

WINSCOMBE moved up to second spot after a convincing 4-1 win at Nailsea Town.

Playing against the wind in the first-half, the visitors created chances for Flint, Clark, Mason and Willis, none of which came to fruition.

Stoves and Hughes were controlling the middle with ease and the back four of Heal, Hosey, Massey and Chambers made sure Page in goal was rarely tested.

The second half started with Winscombe still in the asscendency and they scored after when Willis leapt at the back post to head home off the post. This gave them the impetus to bomb forward and Clark doubled the score.

Clark got his second after a through ball from Flint and Winscombe made it 4-0 when Flint netted from an acute angle. Nailsea grabbed a consolation when a long ball over the top was well finished by their striker.

Winscombe Fish Bar man of the match was shared between Stoves and Hughes.

Winscombe are at home on Saturday when they face basement side Weston St Johns. The football club would like to wish Winscombe Rugby Club the best of luck in their play-off on Saturday.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus