Hornets Colts reach county cup quarter-finals

PUBLISHED: 09:10 13 January 2017 | UPDATED: 09:10 13 January 2017

Hornets Colts defeated Clevedon to reach the quarter-finals of the Somerset Cup.

Hornets Colts reached the quarter-finals of the Somerset Cup after a tough encounter with Clevedon, coming out winners by three tries to three.

With the new artificial pitch in full use, the Colts were able to be the curtain-raisers for the 1st XV match against Camborne.

With perfect conditions, this was always going to be a fast game and both sides contributed to a fine, hard-fought match.

Clevedon were able to strike first after some good play. From the restart, Humphris’ perfect kick was collected by Hancock, who set off with his pack with him and strong runs by Francis and Miell got Hornets close.

A penalty five metres saw Williams take a quick tap to find his skipper, Hancock, on the hoof and the big prop surged over. Surging runs by Holyday and Hitchens in the centre got Hornets deep into Clevedon’s half.

Another penalty, this time a kick to touch and the line-out was well executed. A catch and drive and Bailey was at the base of the maul to collect the score, converted by Humphris.

Clevedon’s kicking game was forcing Hornets to attack from deep and Chamberlain and Coe would get Hornets back into Clevedon territory. Bate was again having a storming game with his strong running and on one occasion he set off with the forwards in tow.

Clevedon hauled him down, but Williams set the backs off and a perfect line by Holyday saw his score subsequently converted by Humphris.

Clevedon put some good rugby together to score two quick tries to level the scores with only 10 minutes left.

The momentum swung back Hornets’ way with a scrum on halfway. Bate was off again and Humphris spotted a gap and when he was held up, Bate arrived to crash over to put Hornets back in front.

The last five minutes were a bit twitchy and Clevedon had a couple of chances to pinch the game, but Hornets’ defence was strong and a relieving kick finished the game to give Hornets a 24-19 victory.

Burnham now await the Hornets in the quarter-final.

The Colts now look forward to Sunday when Weston will visit The Nest in a day of games for the official launch of the new pitch by the RFU. Dignitaries from the RFU including their chairman will be watching.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury