Late try gives Winscombe victory at Oldfield

PUBLISHED: 09:25 17 February 2017

Luke Truscott.

Luke Truscott.


A late try by Will Higginbottom gave Winscombe a narrow victory against Oldfield Old Boys.

Oldfield Old Boys 13 pts

Winscombe 15 pts

Returning to league action, Winscombe travelled to Oldfield Old Boys and on a cold afternoon came up against a young and gutsy outfit in a game of two halves.

A pulsating and attritional first-half saw both sides exchange early penalties. Winscombe had the upper hand in the line-out and scrum exchanges, but found it difficult to settle into a game after pre-match preparations were hampered and Oldfield capitalised adding a long range penalty to take the lead 6-3.

On the stroke of half-time, Winscombe’s woe was compounded. A clean break from the home fly-half put the Oldfield side deep into enemy territory and quick ruck ball sent the home side clear for a converted score, increasing their lead to 13-3.

Now with the wind in their favour and time to re-group, Winscombe upped their efforts taking control of proceedings, although the home side were proving tough to break down.

It was not until the final quarter that Winscombe took control. Captain Lewis Popadec led the charge with a quick tap penalty and score from five metres after consistent pressure. Merryfield added the extras to make it 13-10.

As the game drew to a close it was Winscombe who took their chances. Dan Fryer stole two scrums in succession and soon after the pressure told. Clean line-out ball followed by a powerful rolling maul delivered Will Higginbottom across the line for Winscombe to register another win, albeit a close one.

Winscombe host St Bernadettes Old Boys on Saturday, 2.15pm kick-off.

Winscombe 2nd XV 7 pts

Burnham 2nd XV 24 pts

Winscombe’s run of success came to an end when they were unable to complete the double over Burnham.

Early pressure on the Winscombe line was relieved by Ryan Robinson securing a defensive line-out and a saving tackle by George Marsh, but Burnham continued to attack and drew a penalty in front of the posts for a 3-0 lead.

An accurate restart gave Winscombe a throw-in and after seven drives, they were awarded another penalty, but when they went wide from the line-out that followed, an infringement led to Burnham racing deep into home territory from where they doubled their lead with another penalty in the 18th minute.

After Ed Farmer and Marsh counter-attacked from the restart, Winscombe put together a few phases but when they lost possession, incisive running by Burnham ended with the outside-half kicking to his winger in acres of space for an easy touchdown, followed by the conversion.

The restart failed to travel the requisite 10 metres and from the scrummage the Burnham No 8 drove to the 22 from where a third easy penalty kick completed the first-half scoring in the 25th minute.

Winscombe’s first attack in the second half came after Rich Priddice broke through tackles which led to Marsh scoring a try under the posts, converted by Will MacArthur.

The home side gave away another penalty which Burnham converted for a 19-7 lead. The visitors wrapped up victory with a try with four minutes remaining.

Winscombe’s Luke Fisher is brought to a standstill by a committed Oldfield defence.

Lock Matt Truscott prepares to offload.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists