Seasiders hit back to grab derby success

PUBLISHED: 09:36 28 October 2016 | UPDATED: 09:36 28 October 2016

Richard Bignell.

Richard Bignell.

Copyright Andrew Collins 2016. All rights reserved

Weston came from behind against Clevedon to maintain their unbeaten start to the season.

Weston 29 pts

Clevedon 23 pts

Weston started their seventh game of the Tribute South West 1 West season brightly, winning back possession from their kick-off.

They worked the ball through two phases and spun it wide and with Matt Watkins coming in from the opposite wing, he interchanged passes with Will Young before taking a return pass and scoring a good try.

Mackay missed the conversion and home supporters may have felt that this might be the start of a simple affair.

Clevedon however, had other ideas and played with great industry and pace, upsetting Weston’s pattern of play and setting up some chances for themselves.

Both Mackay and Clevedon’s Kieran Hill missed penalties, but after half-an-hour things swung Clevedon’s way and Hill kicked three penalties in five minutes.

With the score at 5-9, Weston felt they had carried the ball into touch, but Clevedon’s backs spun the ball away quickly and found prop Largenton, who scored a try at the posts. The conversion from Hill gave Clevedon a half-time lead of 5-16.

The second half continued to be frenetic and Weston pulled back with a penalty from Mackay.

Further enterprising play from Clevedon saw them come close to the Weston line several times before Weston’s defence finally ran out as hooker Matthew Honour scored a try under the posts, converted by Hill.

With Clevedon 8-23 in front, things looked bad for Weston but they exerted tremendous pressure from the forwards and following a series of penalties near the posts, at which Weston opted to scrimmage, they were finally awarded a penalty try.

Weston tails were up and the remaining 25 minutes were dominated by Weston who ran and carried strongly. A great move off the back of the scrum saw Tuttiett scoot through for a try converted by Mackay.

Weston’s pressure continued and the Clevedon defence failed as the home side forced the pace and Bignell ran through to score the bonus point try. Mackay converted putting Weston 29-23 in front, a lead that they were not to lose, despite a last effort from Clevedon.

Weston’s defence was now looking better than during the whole game and eventually Clevedon conceded a penalty which allowed Mackay to make a good clearance kick and the referee blew for full-time.

Weston will be relieved to have come through against tough opposition in this keenly-contested and physical game. They remain top of the league, six points clear of second-placed Newent, ahead of their trip to Okehampton this weekend.

Weston will face the students from the University of Bath in the quarter-final of the Somerset Senior Cup, over the weekend of November 12-13. Unfortunately, there will be no repeat of last year’s Weston derby in the final, after Hornets lost to Old Redcliffians.

The other quarter-finals are: Bridgwater & Albion v Burnham, Midsomer Norton v Old Redcliffians, Taunton v Clevedon.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury