Weston finish the season with unbeaten record

PUBLISHED: 09:38 28 April 2017

Mike Hocking.

Mike Hocking.

Copyright Andrew Collins 2016. All rights reserved

Weston ended their season with a fantastic unbeaten record, winning the league and the Somerset Cup in the process.

Bideford 0 pts

Weston 55 pts

Weston were on song for their last game of a wonderful season and they were much the better side in the warm spring sunshine at Bideford’s ground on the North Devon coast.

The team was well supported by a large crowd of travelling supporters and the team were on the score sheet inside three minutes following recycled ball and a neat backs move, which was completed by full-back Chris Young. The conversion was made by Dan Lomax.

Weston were forcing the pace and denying Bideford any possession. The second score came on 10 minutes when Morgan sliced through to score out wide.

The home side rucked well and began to assert themselves, although Weston’s line speed and resolute tackling meant that despite the work of the Bideford pack, there were no scores for the home supporters to celebrate.

Weston added to their score after a scrappy period of play when a backs move resulted in Young sprinting for the line, he was hauled down but offloaded neatly to winger Robbie MacKay, who touched down for his 20th try of the season.

Lomax got the extras but this was the end of Young’s game as he had pulled a muscle and was replaced by Harry Jones.

Bideford continued to disrupt Weston’s play but were unable to force a score and the teams turned round at half-time with Weston 19-0 in front.

Stirring words from the coaches at the break saw a more clinical and skilled display from Weston in the second half. Weston’s pack were dominant at the set piece and when they opted for a scrum from a penalty, they got a pushover try touched down by Spelman.

They might have been tempted to repeat the trick four minutes later, but this time Tuttiett took a quick tap penalty and following good work from the backs, young open side Billy Kirk took a neat pass and darted through the remains of the Bideford defence to score.

The game was all Weston now and following quickly recycled ball, hooker Mike Hocking touched down near the posts.

Despite a big effort from the Bideford forwards, Weston were able to win turnover ball and Tuttiett made a typical break and sprinted 30 metres for a great individual try.

Just two minutes later, Weston were awarded a five-metre scrum try having forced the Bideford defence to touch down over their own line. Ash Russell had switched to No 8 and touched down for Weston’s second pushover try.

With just seconds remaining, Weston’s backs were in full flow once more and Marcus Nel was on hand to get round the Bideford defence to score Weston’s ninth try of the game. Lomax had hit five conversions and Weston finished the day deserved victors.

This final bonus point win ends what has been a fantastic season for the club. The first team are champions of Tribute South West 1 West with a magnificent haul of 125 points from a possible 130, 26 points clear of their nearest rivals Clevedon. They have played 26 games and won 25 with a single draw and no defeats.

They have also won the Somerset Cup, beating National Division 3 South League champions Old Redcliffians in the semi-final and beating Clevedon in a thrilling final on the new artificial pitch at Hutton Moor.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Weston Mercury