Weston return from Camborne with the points

PUBLISHED: 09:08 11 September 2015 | UPDATED: 09:08 11 September 2015

Chris Young. Photo by Andrew Collins.

Chris Young. Photo by Andrew Collins.

Copyright Andrew Collins 2014. All rights reserved

Weston returned from Camborne with a hard-fought victory in their opening game of the season.


WESTON 23 pts

WESTON travelled to Cornwall for their first outing in South West One West and came away with a victory after a nail-biting second half which went down to the wire.

The visitors took the lead in the fourth minute through a Glenn Dickson penalty and could have increased their lead in the seventh minute when a scrum inside the hosts 20-metre line led to Dickson ghosting through a gap, only to have the ball dislodged from his hand in the act of scoring.

Weston increased their lead through another Dickson penalty in the 14th minute and looked set to score again, but knocked on near the line. The Camborne line held and in a sweeping move, flanker Sam Matavesi scored near the posts for try that was converted by scrum-half Taron Peacock.

This put the hosts in front for the only time in the game as shortly after, Weston produced a superb passage of play involving captain George Sparks, lock Andrew Glen, scrum-half Hayden Tuttiett, hooker Rich Ford and centre Harry Jones, who combined to put right wing Chris Young over for an excellent score.

This was to prove the last realistic rugby of the first-half, although an altercation led to Glen being yellow carded, along with Peacock from Camborne.

The second half started with a missed penalty for the visitors, but from the resulting drop-out Sparks gathered the ball and released prop Sam Coles, who put Jones away on a mazy run that resulted in the elusive centre crossing for a great try.

Weston could have scored soon after when the industrious Tuttiett retrieved the ball in his own 20-metre area and set off on a long run, which ended in his kick forward being retrieved by the host flanker to avoid a further score.

Camborne were now all over Weston and deservedly cut the lead when centre Ben Jordan scored a converted try, following good pressure from the Camborne forwards.

Weston were up against it, but in the 75th minute, relief came when outside centre Matt Burns intercepted a long pass to race 70 metres for a try under the posts, which was converted by Dickson.

Camborne never gave up and reduced the lead yet again to two points when prop Andrius Zacharovas crossed for another try converted by Peacock. Weston held on, but Camborne looked to have won it only for the score to be ruled out for a double movement.

The final whistle came as a great relief to the visitors, who can take some positives out of this victory as it is probably a game they would have lost last season.

Weston host Coney Hill in their first home game this Saturday, kick-off 3pm.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists