Weston romp home in the cup

PUBLISHED: 09:29 21 January 2010 | UPDATED: 11:36 25 May 2010

JUNIOR RUGBY - WESTON Under-16s travelled to Midsomer Norton in the Somerset Cup and came away 52-5 winners by scoring eight tries to one.

WESTON Under-16s travelled to Midsomer Norton in the Somerset Cup and came away 52-5 winners by scoring eight tries to one.

From the kick-off, Weston's Troy Hanham ran the ball into the Norton half and from a ruck Rich Reeves scored the first try.

A home clearance was gathered by Joel Pomeroy and from another ruck, Charlie Walbridge made good ground and load to Tom Allen who scored and Dan Lomax added the conversion.

The home side started to use the conditions with a strong wind behind them. They kicked the ball down field which was not caught and they scored their only points in the game.

Straight from the kick-off the forwards overturned the ball, and set it up for Sam Fisher to score with good support from James Royal.

James Royal was involved in another try, feeding Charlie Walbridge to score in the corner.

The scrum had gone well all game and when Adam Fisher struck against the head a good pick and go from Charlie was supported by Sam Fisher who passed to Sam Dobson who ran for his first try for the club.

Further tries were scored by Sam Fisher, following good work again by Charlie, and Tom Ford was involved in a good run and the following ruck saw Callum Luxom pick up and score a good try.

Norton produced their scrum of the game by pushing Weston back two meters, something they had failed to do all game, but the Weston forwards maintained their composure having struck against the head again managed to keep the ball and from a penalty, a quick tap and go saw good handling along the line allowing Joe Robinson to go over in the corner for the final score.

This was a good team performance considering the lack of game time due to the recent weather, with all players involved, mentions for two Sam Fishers, James Royal and Charlie Walbridge who made some crunching tackles and great breaks.

YATTON Under-9s travelled to North Bristol for the first game in seven weeks and, despite the long lay-off, both teams played some good committed rugby in two well contested games.

North Bristol scored the first two tries with some powerful running, but after some good close support play and neat passing, Yatton got one back with Dylan Wallis scoring in the corner. Both teams attacked and defended well and only stout North Bristol defence denied Finbar Lawrence the chance to level the scores.

Another try by the home team after the half-time break was countered by a nice passage of play which was well finished by Jay Murray. Yatton started to look more dangerous towards the end of the game but could not quite hold on to the ball to score a final, equalising, try and North Bristol ran out winners by 3 tries to 2.

In the second game, the Yatton improvement continued. Murray and Lawrence finished off some great passages of team play to put Yatton two tries ahead, although North Bristol got one back just before half time. The teams traded two scores each in the second half, Ben Wiggins and Lawrence finishing Yatton's tries off. The Yatton boys were delighted to walk off the pitch the winners by four tries to three.

HORNETS Under-11s were glad to get back to playing rugby after all the bad weather.

Chew Valley were the opposition and the game started well for Hornets who through forwards Josh Entwhistle, Callum Tanner, Zac Carver-Cox, Paddy Holyday and Jack Mohide were running good ball in open play and tackling well in defence.

The first few minutes and both sides were evenly matched, but Hornets started to get the upper hand. Bryn Solomon provided good ball for Alex Francis to set his threequarters moving, Freddie Dolcezza, Tiah Lauder and Thomas Cocking constantly knocked over the opposition and gained good ground with ball in hand.

The opening try came from good pressure by the forwards and Jack Richardson went over converted by Jordan Humphris. A mix-up in defence and Chew stole one back. As the half continued Alex found himself in open space to go over with Paddy close on hand, converted by Alex.

Now Hornets began to impose themselves and following a break out of defence by Bryn, good quick forward rucking the ball was delivered to Jack Richardson for a fine team try converted by Jordan.

The second half saw Louie Vernacombe and Liam Fitzpatrick came on in the forwards and the good running by both kept Hornets close to Chew's line. Mathew Balcombe, Mitchell Dyson, Keane Williams, Spencer Coe and Harry Taylor were keen to make an impact and good tackling was required to keep Chew out.

However, Chew managed three quick tries to go into the lead, but all this did was to stir Hornets into action who began to play the best rugby of the match, Eventually after constant pressure Jack Richardson pounced on a mistake to score, converted by Jordan.

Straight from the kick-off, Hornets had the bit between their teeth and forced Chew into mistakes. Richardson now in the forwards, along with the rest of his pack surged over the line for his forth try, converted by Jordan for a final score of 35-26.

The Under-10s played two games at home against Chew Valley. In the first, Hornets put early pressure on the visitors with some good forward play led by Charlie Owens and Thomas Budd. Despite strong tackling from Jake Middleton and Jacob Manning, Chew Valley were able to dominate the contact area and scored two early tries.

Hornets fought back with Jack Higgins and Leuan Walters driving Andrew Meaghan over the line for a great score. The visitors countered with a breakaway try and the game ended as a 15-5 loss for Hornets.

In the second game, Hornets backs saw more of the ball. Dan Odea and Owen Kent make some good breaks and tackled well. Chew Valley scored twice through their fast wingers, but Lewis Rickwood responded with a fine run and score in the corner.

Nick Lukins slipped an early ball to Harrison Wallace who then outsprinted the opposition and ran the length of the pitch to score. However, the visitors continued to benefit from loose ball and half tackles and scored twice more which saw the game end as a 25-10 win for Chew Valley.

The Under-9s, in their first game of the year, entertained Chew Valley at Hutton Moor. Given the previous week's snow-bound weather, the pitch was muddy and heavy underfoot;

Chew Valley turned out an experienced squad and in the opening minutes quickly opened up a two-try lead. After a rusty start, Hornets re-established their defensive line through George Sheppard, Jack Howard, Locky Carver-Cox and Ryan Young that led to a sustained period of evenly matched play. Hornets forwards Connor Hill and Joe Frost started to break through and the first try came from Rhys Clarke who showed guts and determination.

By now, Hornets had regained their confidence, and with Luke Collins leading the way, things steadily improved. Ethan Loveridge managed to rip the ball off a maul allowing a late first-half try for Charlie Fairhurst, leaving the score even going into the second half.

Hornets fought back with refreshed vigour during the second half, getting off to an early start by Oscar Browne driving across the line to take the lead. Ewan McComisky demonstrated his versatility by making a series of superb tackles that made a considerable difference. Fairhurst added his second try by spotting open space and crossing the line with a lightening quick run from halfway.

While Chew Valley continued to display aggressive defensive skills, a line-out allowed Hornets to quickly regain possession and through some good clean passing, Eddie Williams scored off a run down the blindside wing. During the last quarter, Chew Valley scored one more try against two more from Hornets, one from Jack Tottle supported by Blake Goodare, Mitch Hawkes and Sebastian Wood. McComisky weaved past two defenders to touch down for a try and a final score of Hornets 35 points, Chew Valley 15.

WIINSCOMBE Under-15s entertained Burnham in their first game for nearly a month and came away with a 40-7 victory against opponents who have improved considerably when compared with previous encounters.

The forced break showed as Winscombe took time to settle and get their usual game together. The contest was fairly even for the first quarter until good work by Tom Day and Eddie Farmer put Nick Thompson in for the opening try.

Dan Bond then chased a long kick before releasing Thompson who set up Sam Denham for the second. James Martyn emerged from a maul on the 22 to sprint over for an excellent third try before Denham added the fourth, running in from half way. Robbie Mackay converted all of these scores for a half-time score of 28-0.

Winscombe rang the changes at half time and Burnham briefly took the initiative. The home side were penalised in front of their posts and one of the Burnham props forced his way over for a deserved try which was converted. However Winscombe came back and some fine passing from the backs put Adam Male in near the corner. Peter Hooper was unlucky when his conversion hit an upright. The final score came from Farmer following a neat break by Charlie Pye, Hooper added the conversion.

Winscombe's next game is the delayed final of the Bristol Combination Plate against Weston at Keynsham on January 24.

The Under-13s found themselves struggling where they least expect it, in the forwards. Visitors Old Reds dug deep and put on a splendid display in ruck and maul, leaving the home side grateful to scrape a narrow win.

Winscombe dominated the opening exchanges, keeping play firmly in the Old Reds' half. The opening try came quickly, good work by Tommy Parsons and Tom Cooksey, the only two home forwards to find form in the match, creating the space for Josh Daly to break through.

The Old Reds forwards began to warm up, finally forcing their way up the pitch to the Winscombe 22, where they won a penalty. They elected to run in, but a thunderous tackle from Sam Rees jarred the ball loose. Daly collected and was away, only to be caught on the half-way line. Fortunately Rees had followed up and was able to score. Both tries were converted by Brady Woods. Two tries were conceded through a static defence, one conversion going wide.

At the start of the second half Daly scored again, forcing his way out of the Winscombe half with some determined tackle-breaking, eventually outpacing the defence to score beneath the posts. The visitors were soon back in the chase with another try from their forwards, and the two point margin was restored.

Winscombe's Tommy Parsons, came on after a spell out for an injury and was determined to win the game single handed, starting to put the missing bite back into the forwards. Tom Cooksey rallied his efforts, and the home side started to achieve some rhythm.

However, Old Reds never stopped their powerful running, and it was from one of these that Winscombe's fourth try came. Rees judged his tackle to perfection, ripping the ball and racing off to score his second. Woods converted for a 100 per cent record in the match, but Reds were not finished, again breaking down the home forwards to score wide on the left in the last move of the game, well converted.

A ragged display from the normally potent Winscombe forwards, only saved by splendid performances by Daly and Rees.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury