RYA South West instructor training day
- Credit: Archant
Over 70 water sports instructors from all over the South West braved the weather to come to the RYA South West instructor day, hosted by Cheddar Sailing.
OVER 70 water sports instructors from all over the South West braved the weather to come to the RYA South West instructor day, hosted by Cheddar Sailing.
RYA regional development officer, Tony Wood and the RYA chief powerboat instructor presented an informative session on changes in legislation and best practise, with a specific session on cold shock.
Participants were also treated to a practical session on the importance of a warm-up before sailing. After lunch, cooked by a team of volunteers from Cheddar Sailing, there were a series of in-depth practical workshops.
If you are interested in learning to sail, email email@example.com or call 01179 425 123.
You may also want to watch:
The club’s annual beginner adult training course will be run on Saturdays in May and early June. Attendees can come to one or more sessions, and attendance for five sessions will lead to an RYA qualification.
If you’re not sure if sailing is for you and would just like to give it a try, the club also offers two hour tasters sessions once the weather gets a bit warmer.
- 1 Fears for Weston General Hospital A&E's future after top doctor resigns
- 2 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 3 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 6 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 7 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 8 Christmas lights display for Weston Hospicecare
- 9 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 10 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
The club also runs courses for members’ children and holiday sailing days open to all. Many schools and youth organisations come sailing as part of the OnBoard programme, on a one-off or regular basis.