Ryan triumphs in level play event
CROQUET - THE third South West Federation (SWF) Open Individual Golf Croquet event took place at Nailsea Croquet Club.
THE third South West Federation (SWF) Open Individual Golf Croquet event took place at Nailsea Croquet Club.
This year entries were down with players from only four clubs, Broadwas, Kington Langley, Lansdown and Nailsea for the three competitions, level play, handicap singles and handicap doubles.
In the level play singles, 16 year-old Ryan Cabble (handicap 1, Nailsea) won block A with three wins and Peter Dyke (3, Nailsea) won block B also with three wins. Both players were on good form and in an exciting final Peter took the early lead, but Ryan fought back to win 7-6.
In the handicap event Margaret Lewis (7, Broadwas) won block A with three wins and Carl Jones (8, Nailsea) won block B with two wins and a draw. The handicap doubles was run as a reverse Swiss. The final between Ian and Elaine Morrison (Broadwas) and Jim Gregory and Polly Reynolds (Nailsea) was won by Jim and Polly completing a clean sweep for the Nailsea players.
You may also want to watch:
Nailsea Central team beat South Bristol at home by 14 games to five, with one drawn game, in the SWF Golf Croquet League.
Results: Doubles: Brian McCausland and Polly Reynolds won 6-2 and 7-2; Brian and Brenda Roynon won 7-5 and 6-2. Singles: Ryan Cabble won 7-4, 7-1, 7-5 and 7-1; Jim Gregory won 5-4, lost 6-7 and 3-4 and won 7-3; Brian McCausland lost 3-4 and drew 4-4; Brian Roynon won 7-1 and lost 4-6; Brenda Roynon won 7-1 and 7-4; Polly Reynolds won 7-2 and lost 4-7.
- 1 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 2 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 3 Cosmetics company creates candle to raise cash for Weston Hospicecare
- 4 New scheme to monitor high-risk Covid patients at home will 'save lives'
- 5 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 6 Weston Hospicecare postpones Men's March due to possible lockdown extension
- 7 Community shop seeks new manager
- 8 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 9 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 10 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
Earlier in the week Nailsea SE team lost an association croquet match by two games to three away at Wellington in the SWF B League.
Results: Doubles: Polly Reynolds and Mike Tracy lost -6 (8-14). Singles: Brian Roynon lost -2 (12-14) and won +7T (22-15); Polly Reynolds lost -10T (10-20); Mike Tracy won +9T (19-10).