Saints end the season with a defeat

Weston St Johns v Langford.

Weston St Johns v Langford. - Credit: Archant

Weston St Johns ended the season with defeat at home to Berrow.

Weston St Johns 0

Berrow 2

WESTON St Johns season came to an end with this home defeat against high-riding Berrow.

The home side were missing no less than 12 from the first team squad, so manager James Bennellick was grateful for the help of reserve team manager Jamie Wilson and players for stepping up in the hour of need.

You may also want to watch:

The game itself was a bit of a drab affair with a feel of an end of season match. Saints more than held their own, creating a number of chances through the impressive Jack Clark. Berrow scored one goal in each half to go home with all the points.

Although a frustrating campaign, it has to be seen as a successful season in the Saints’ first season in the top flight, proving when a full squad is available they can beat the best sides.

Most Read

Bennellick had special thanks to Cheryl Wilcox for all the work she did behind the scenes. The end of season presentation is on June 1 at the clubhouse, which includes a race night.

Alliance Homes man of the match was Dave Wilcox.

Weston St Johns Res 3

Portishead Res 2

SAINTS Reserves hosted Portishead in their last game of the season, looking for revenge for an earlier defeat.

The hosts started the better but fell behind before they equalised when Ben Price scored. Troy Hayes was having a field day against his full-back and was well supported by Bennellick.

Saints’ back four captained by Wilcox along with Bennellick, Whittaker and Carpenter gave keeper Alchorne an easy half. Saints took the lead when a good passing move between Hartley, Hawkins and Hodrian ended with Hodrian scoring.

Bennellick gave away a soft penalty which the Town captain netted.

After the break, Hartley had a great chance to put Saints in front, but shot straight at the keeper, but made amends when he fired in what proved to be the winner.

Troy Hayes should of made the game safe when Wilson picked him out but he managed to head wide from six yards out.

Manager Jamie Wilson would like to thank Cheryl Wilcox for all her support through a tough season. M&S Carpentry man of the match was Dave Wilcox.

Winscombe 2

Nailsea Utd Res 0

WINSCOMBE recorded a well-deserved win against a stubborn Nailsea side to finish third in Division 2 West.

Winscombe were indebted to two fine saves by Dan Till to keep them in the game, with the back four of Heal, Massey, Hooper and Chambers were all playing well.

At the start of the second half, Winscombe started to take the game to Nailsea with Stoves and captain Hughes controlling midfield and the tireless Mason brothers on the flanks, allowing Flint and Cureton up front more time.

It came as no surprise when Winscombe scored through Matt Heal. They put the game to bed after 79 minutes when Flint coolly slotted the ball home.

Special thanks to managers Guy Bradford and Steve Barker who have turned the club around. The presentation and dinner is tomorrow (Fri), 7.30pm at the club.

CONGRESBURY were crowned champions of Somerset League Division 2 West following a run of six wins and two draws in their last eight games.

The eight-game run began with an 8-1 home win over Cheddar Reserves with goals coming from Tuckfield and Stockhall, who both struck hat-tricks, Sprague and an own goal.

Next up was a disappointing 0-0 draw away at Worle. Burnham Reserves were the visitors and a good first-half performance saw Congresbury score all three goals in a 3-0 win, the goals coming from Stockhall (2) and Tuckfield.

The game against St Johns saw Congresbury go behind, but a superb equaliser from Harraway saw them get a deserved 1-1 draw.

The final four games were all against teams that were still in with a chance of promotion. Wells City Reserves away saw Congresbury produce one of their best performances as they recorded an impressive 5-1 win with goals coming from Stockhall, Brown, Marsh, Williams and Read.

With three games remaining, Congresbury went into the game against Portishead Reserves knowing that a draw would clinch promotion. They produced another good performance to record a 3-0 win with goals coming from Harraway (2) and Tuckfield.

The final home game of the season saw Congresbury crowned champions following a 4-0 win over Nailsea United Reserves, with Stockhall (2), Tuckfield and Sprague getting the goals.

The final game of the season was away to Nailsea Town Reserves and they finished off the season in style with a 4-1 win, with goals coming from Tuckfield (2), Stockhall and Brown.

Squad members that all made a significant contribution to the team’s success were Bullock, Bishop, Hewish, O Clements, S Clements, Pepworth, Lister, Hammond and Shepherd.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus