Saints’ errors prove costly

Too many errors were the downfall for Weston St Johns’ away fixture at Clevedon United.

Clevedon United 6

Weston St Johns 2

ST JOHNS went into this fixture with two good performances under their belt after stepping up from the Somerset Premier Division.

It was all too easy for Clevedon to open the scoring after five minutes. An early cross was headed home from the edge of the box by Clevedon’s Joe Govan.

You may also want to watch:

Saints had a good chance to get back on level terms, but Rob Winter missed a one-on-one situation. Moments later, Winter’s shot was saved by the Clevedon goalkeeper.

A great individual effort by Clevedon’s Nick Lee put Clevedon further in the lead. St Johns continued to give the ball away and Govan netted his second and Clevedon’s third after finishing a low strike.

Most Read

Strong words from manager James Bennellick at half-time seemed to have worked as St Johns came out with more life and reduced the lead when Jack Clarke beat two defenders before playing a one-two with Winter and striking home from close range. Any comeback was quickly ended with more poor defending as Russ Gregory scored for the home side.

An appeal for hand ball in the Clevedon box was denied and straight away Clevedon broke and were awarded their own penalty after a late tackle from Ashley Flavell. Nick Lee tucked away the penalty for a 5-1 lead.

Saints substitute and new signing Andy Locker repaired some of the damage by turning his defender and netting, but Russ Gregory ended the scoring for the hosts.

Dean Pierson was awarded the Mike Whittaker Builders man of the match.

Berrow 3

Weston St Johns 1

SAINTS started brightly against Berrow, controlling the midfield with good work by Andrew Hayes and Mark Adams.

Saints had the first effort when Hudson played Clarke through, but his shot hit the Berrow crossbar. Berrow opened the scoring against the run of play when their striker fired a low shot past Ian Allchorne in goal.

After the break, Saints were soon back on level terms when Winter equalised. Saints pressed hard again, but a long ball over the Saints defence saw Allchorne handle outside his box, resulting in a red card and a free kick. Midfielder Ryan Hawkins went in goal, but he could do nothing as the resulting free kick was deflected in.

Saints went looking for an equaliser, but were caught on the break when Berrow scored again to make it 3-1.

Mike Whittakers Builders man of the match went to Andrew Hayes. St Johns would like to welcome Tom Gorman as club physio, his talented skills are much appreciated by everyone, including Justin Flavell who is looking to make a comeback soon.

Weston St Johns would like to thank Mike Whittaker Builders for their continued support and for sponsoring a new club away kit.

Weston St Johns Res 3

Coombe St Nicholas 3

SAINTS when into this game in a positive mood and took an early lead when Charalambous scored his second of the season.

Saints were in control and Tom Patrick doubled Saints’ lead. The home side were made to pay for missed chances when Coombe pulled a goal back and soon after found the equaliser.

Saints’ midfield of Hartley, Evans, Patrick, Charalambous and Earnie started to control the game and the hard working Westgarth was giving the visitor’s back four a torrid time.

It took something special from Joseph Whittaker to put Saints back in front when he pick up the ball from 35 yards and smashed it into the top corner.

After the break, the defence, which was marshalled by veteran skipper Hartley along with Carpenter, Mitchell and Whittaker, protected Hodrien in Saints’ goal.

Saints introduce player-manager Wilson and he brought a fine save from the Coombe keeper. Saints were made to pay for their missed chances when in the last minute Coombe equalised.

M&S Carpentry man of the match was Joseph Whittaker

Weston St Johns Res 1

Winscombe 3

SAINTS Reserves went into their first home game of the season after a heavy defeat at Portishead.

Saints started well with Ryan Hodrien causing Winscombe’s defence problems, but they were caught napping shortly after and Winscombe took full advantage to go 2-0 up.

Tom Patrick was having a good game and Saints reduced the lead when Ryan Charalambous headed in Hodrien’s cross. A lack of concentration let the visitors increase their lead.

Ryan Evans and Mike Winter were both having good games and Saints were awarded a penalty after Patrick was brought down, but Charalambous hit the bar with the kick After the break, Saints introduced Hartley and with Carpenter and Whittaker joining the attacks from full back, Winscombe were under pressure.

The Saints’ back four of Hartley, Mitchell, Whittaker and Winter had a fine second half.

M&S Carpentry man of the match was shared between Jason Mitchell and Tom Patrick.

Keynsham Town Res 1

Wrington-Redhill 2

WRINGTON-Redhill travelled to much-fancied Keynsham Town Reserves for a Somerset County League Division 1 fixture and secured a hard-earned three points. Wrington goalkeeper Saade pulled off a wonder save on 20 minutes to keep Wrington in the game and despite their best efforts, Wrington-Redhill could not find a way through a well-marshalled home defence.

In the second half, the home side took the lead when Keynsham forward Jay turned sharply in the box to fire past the Saade.

Alan Smith’s side do not lack spirit and within five minutes had equalised after stylish approach play involving Thomas, Andow and Cheeseman, freeing up new signing Chris Gayle to slot home from just inside the box.

The game ebbed and flowed until the away side broke through with good skill from Neil Andow, who chipped the home custodian for subsitute Joe Wheadon to smash home.

The talented Craig Burchill caused constant problems for the home side and can count himself unfortunate not to have scored at least three times.

Wrington-Redhill man of the match chosen by ‘first of the summer wine’ was Callum Fisher.

Cheddar Res 0

Congresbury 1

CONGRESBURY maintained their winning start to the season with a hard-fought victory over a good Cheddar side.

Congresbury had the better of the early stages with Tony Tuckfield and Ross Stockhall causing the Cheddar defenders some anxious moments. Congresbury had the first chance when Ben Marsh released Stockhall and his shot beat the keeper, but clipped the crossbar and flew wide.

Tuckfield then forced the keeper into a full stretch save to tip a well struck free-kick over the bar. As Congresbury continued to dominate, the Cheddar keeper made two good close range saves from Danny Sprague.

Congresbury were awarded a free-kick 30 yards out and having come close earlier, Tuckfield blasted this one past the keeper for the lead. Cheddar rallied and almost equalised, but keeper Danny Bullock saved well to leave the half-time score 1-0.

The second half was a more even affair with Simon Hewis and Moe Lister and working hard in midfield and defenders Dan Pepworth, Ollie Clements, Sam Clements and Sprague comfortable against the rare Cheddar attacks.

There were few chances, but Rob Harraway, Harry Mathews and Seb Williams all had shots on target. Near the end, Stockhall had a chance to wrap the game up but the Cheddar keeper made an excellent save to leave the final score 1-0.

Player of the match was Dan Pepworth.

Congresbury 4

Portishead Town Res 0

THIS was an early season match-up between two unbeaten teams that had won all their previous games and Congresbury produced a good performance to win. Portishead started the better and had several chances to take the lead and only a superb last ditch tackle by Ben Marsh and some good saves by Danny Bullock kept them in the game.

Congresbury took the lead when Rob Harraway’s pass released Ross Stockhall and he made the score 1-0 with a neat finish. Minutes later, Marsh found Harraway and his pass sent Tony Tuckfield clear and he scored to make the half-time score 2-0.

After the break, Moe Lister and Simon Hewish started to control the midfield, and they made it 3-0 when Marsh and Tuckfield combined to set up Stockhall.

Sam Matthews cleared a shot off the line as Portishead continued to press. Near the end, a superb pass from Lister found Marsh and he raced clear to make it 4-0.

Player of the match was Ben Marsh.

Weston St Johns Res 1

Winscombe 3

WINSCOMBE maintained their unbeaten start to the season by travelling to Weston St Johns and coming away with a 3-1 victory.

Winscombe started well and were two goals up after only 12 minutes through goals by Lawrence Massey and Simon Willis, but conceded a soft goal, but then went back down the other end and scored again through Mike Flint. St Johns came back fighting and could have made it 3-2 but missed a penalty.

The second half was scrappy with the home side playing the better football, but neither side could put away their chances. Ryan Mason, playing only his second first team game and Tim Paige, Dave Hughes and Lawrence Massey were outstanding.

WINSCOMBE AFC is looking for local senior players to join the Community Status club.

The club consists of three Saturday senior sides with new management at first team at county league level and they are looking to recruit and develop local talent.

In addition to the senior side, they also run an Under-18 midweek Somerset County Floodlight League team and junior teams from under six to 16.

Senior training is on Tuesday and Thursday night sat 7.30pm. For more details, contact club chairman Andy Flint on 01934 842094 or one of the club secretaries, Mel Moore on 07974 635115 or Jane Weedon on 07522 907060.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus