Saints gain promotion

Weston St Johns gained promotion to the Premier Division of the Somerset County League, despite losing their final match.

Frome Collegians 2

Weston St Johns 1

DESPITE this defeat, Weston St Johns first team clinched their second promotion in three seasons and will be playing in the Somerset Premier Division next season.

Saints started slowly and gave away a succession of free-kicks, Frome scoring from one, giving keeper Ian Allchorne no chance. Saints equalised almost immediately when a superb cross from Nick Jones was lashed home by Juzzy Flavell.

You may also want to watch:

Minutes later, Saints fell behind again when they failed to clear another free kick. Jack Clark forced the keeper into a good save and moments later Dan Hartley came close to equalising, but the Frome keeper pulled off a stunning save.

The second half was fairly even, but Saints’ midfield was unable to create any chances, while the defence of Dean Pierson, Danny Sprague, Mitch Smit and Dave Wilcox were rarely troubled.

Most Read

Saints had a glorious chance to equalise when Flavell’s flicked header sent Hartley clear, but he lifted his shot over the bar. Saints couldn’t create any more chances and Frome held on for the win.

Mike Whittaker player of the match was Dean Pierson.

Langford Rovers 1

Watchet Town 3

ROVERS ended their season in fifth place, but with a cup final to come from what has been a successful season.

The visitors took the lead from the penalty spot after Jamie Crandon was alleged to have handled on the line after keeper Ryan Harris blocked the initial shot. Rovers kicked into gear and Rich Park put Ross Neads through, who was brought down for a penalty. Crandon made amends by finishing in the bottom corner.

The second period saw flowing football but little goalmouth action. Watchet’s second came from a long ball over the top evading Adi Marshman, the striker finishing well. Harris made several good saves late on, before a melee in the box gave Watchet an easy third.

Cheddar 1

Stockwood Green 0

CHEDDAR’S hard-earned three points secured their elevation to the Toolstation Western League in their 120th year of existence.

With the runners-up spot already assured, it was carnival time at Bowden’s Park, a crowd approaching 200 amassed to cheer on the home side.

Cheddar opened the scoring in the 16th minute when Josh Underhill out jumped the keeper to head home from George Booth’s corner.

Cheddar though had to be thankful for two superb one-handed saves from keeper and man-of-the-match, Simon Venn, as the home side took their foot off the gas.

Second half substitutions Simon Pane and David Phillips were thrust into the fray to test the visitor’s rearguard, but chances were few and far between.

Portishead 2

Wrington-Redhill 1

WRINGTON-Redhill were confirmed as Somerset County League Division 2 West champions, despite losing 2-0 at Portishead.

Portishead opened the scoring after only two minutes, but this seemed to spark Wrington into life and Graham Cheeseman went close from a corner by Craig Burchill .

Neil Andow was thwarted by the Portishead keeper, while the home side created countless opportunities, but were unable to score.

Portishead scored again after a goalmouth melee. The introduction of youngster Tom Johnson for the injured Cheeseman unsettled Portishead, earning a penalty. The spot kick was put away by Neil Andow for his 32nd goal of the campaign, but Wrington could not find an equaliser.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus