Saints hold high-flyers to draw

Saints travelled to high-flying Ashton & Backwell and held the host to a 2-2 draw.

Ashton & Backwell 2

Weston St Johns 2

SAINTS’ improved form continued with this deserved point at championship chasing Ashton & Backwell.

This was the second time Saints have faced Ashton within the last four weeks, the home tie seeing a fiesty 1-1 draw.

You may also want to watch:

Saints took the game to their hosts from the start, with chances at both ends, while looking solid at the back and the midfield playing some great one-touch football.

Saints took the lead when full-back James Cole hit a low drive from 30 yards to score his first goal for the club. They doubled their lead when the impressive Justin Flavell was felled in the box. He picked himself up to send the keeper the wrong way.

Most Read

The second half saw Ashton put Saints on the back foot, but the visitors defended strongly until the 65th minute when the hosts pulled a goal back.

Ashton levelled on 85 minutes with a scrappy goal which could have been defended better. The game could have gone either way in the final minute when Mitchum Smit cleared off the line for Flavell to release Ben Price to run clear, but he missed the target when the ball bobbled at the crucial time.

Alliance Homes man of the match was Justin Flavell.

Weston St Johns Res 1

Peasedown St John 3

THE Reserves hosted Peasedown in this Somerset Cup encounter and missed chances and poor finishing cost them a place in the next round.

Saints started to dominate, with the outstanding Dan Hartley pulling the strings and he was backed up well by Lee Whittaker and Ryan Evans.

The returning Rob Winter looked rusty on his return after a long lay-off through injury. Winter made the Peasedown keeper pull off a great save and Ryan Evans missed a great chance.

Peasdown took the lead against the run of play after poor marking left the striker with a free header.

Saints came out for the second half and were slow to get going, before Winter burst away from his defender only to be brought down for a penalty. Joe Whittaker stepped forward and made no mistake.

Saints’ defence of Charalambous, Carpenter, Hartley and Whittaker looked assured until they switched off and Peasedown scored. Saints were still on top, but gave the ball away and were punished again.

Saints could have sent the game into extra time, but missed chances and great goal keeping sent Peasedown through.

M&S man of the match was Dan Hartley.

Wincanton Town 5

Langford Rovers 3

ROVERS stepped out at the quarter-final stage of the Somerset Senior Cup with this defeat away to their Dorset Premier League opponents.

With a depleted side, Rovers started well but could not make their early dominance tell. They went one down to a long throw which evaded their defence, with the home striker lobbing Jamie Crandon in goal.

Rovers went two behind when a corner was not cleared. Crandon moved his side around and Rovers began to gain control of the middle of the park. Ryan Havard and Aaron Blakemore went close before Havard netted a fine goal.

The second period saw Rovers the better team with Levi Marlow causing problems down the right flank, but Rovers could not score and two sloppy goals seemingly put the game beyond Rovers.

Marlow pulled one back with a good strike after fine work from Leigh White and Joe Ellis. Less than a minute later, Havard netted again to give Rovers a chance with only minutes left. As Rovers pushed on they got caught to seal a frustrating loss.

Moree Windows man of the match went to Ryan Havard. Rovers entertain Bishops Lydeard on Saturday.

Congresbury 5

Ashton & Backwell Res 2

CONGRESBURY had to come from behind again before recording a comfortable victory.

Ashton took the lead from the penalty spot, giving Danny Bullock no chance with a well-placed kick, despite Congresbury defenders Sam Clements, Ollie Clements, Alex Read and Dan Pepworth playing well.

Seb Williams hit a stunning shot that flew just over the bar and Read went close from a corner. Congresbury equalised from a Ben Marsh corner, which was headed home by Danny Sprague.

Following a half-time re-shuffle, Congresbury looked a different team. They took the lead when Sprague headed home another Marsh corner.

The score soon became 3-1 when a move involving Moe Lister and Tony Tuckfield ended with Rob Harraway giving the keeper no chance from close-range.

A superb through ball from Marsh set Ross Stockhall racing clear and he made no mistake. Marsh went close following a good pass from Si Hewish before Stockhall made the score 5-1.

Poor defending at a corner allowed an Ashton striker a free header and he made no mistake to make the final score 5-2.

Player of the match was Danny Sprague.

Wrington-Redhill 5

Westfield 2

A SUPERB playing surface at the Rec provided the stage for an enthralling Somerset County League 1 encounter.

Seven goals, a saved penalty, two goal-line clearances and the post struck four times gave the large crowd plenty of excitement.

Wrington were ahead after 15 minutes from a bullet header from Cheeseman, meeting a free kick from Joe Wheadon. Five minutes later, Craig Burchill skipped through three tackles before smashing ball home from 12 yards.

Cheeseman hit the post on two occasions before Westfield clawed their way back into the game with two goals just before half-time.

Manager Smith galvanised the home team who quickly established the advantage through Cheeseman’s quick turn and finish. Home custodian Saade pulled out a wonderful save to keep the visitors lead, before Cheeseman and substitute Richard Lucas pushed the total to five.

Credit must go to referee Tyler Ganfield who handled the occasion well. Man of the match chosen by the last of the summer wine was Graham Cheeseman.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter