Saints stay on top
Weston St Johns maintained top spot after defeating Saltford 4-0.
Weston St Johns 4
SAINTS maintained their position at the top of the league with a comfortable victory over Saltford.
The game got off to a slow start, but Saints with James Wotton and James Bennellick winning the midfield battle, started to take control. Saltford rarely threatened, but looked dangerous from set pieces.
You may also want to watch:
Saints went close to opening the scoring when Ross Stockhall burst through, but his shot hit the inside of a post before rebounding to safety. At the other end, Saints keeper Ian Allchorne made a fine save following a rare Saltford attack.
Midway through the half, Saints took the lead when Wotton controlled Jack Clark’s pinpoint cross before firing past the keeper. Nick Jones and Wotton and created an opening for Stockhall, who beat a defender but fired his shot straight at the keeper.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 3 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 4 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 5 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 6 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 7 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
- 8 Number of homes in major development could be reduced as amended plans submitted
- 9 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 10 FA Cup: Weston AFC drawn to play Dorking Wanderers in third qualifying round
The second half was dominated by Saints and early on Dan Hartley forced the keeper into a good save. Saints’ defenders Danny Sprague, Alex Read, Dean Pierson and Mitch Smit were all in top form and kept the Saltford attackers at bay.
Saints increased their lead when Jones found Hartley and he beat a defender in the penalty area before firing past the keeper and into the corner of the net. Saints soon made it 3-0 when Stockhall found Callum Ham and he gave the keeper no chance with a powerful strike into the roof of the net.
The final goal came when Clark again found Wotton and he made no mistake with a good finish to make the final score 4-0.
Mike Whittaker Building player of the match was James Wotton.