Saints suffer narrow defeat
St Andrews lost to Moonfleet in the Top Club competition by a narrow margin.
ST ANDREWS played Moonfleet in the mixed Top Club competition, which proved to be a nail biter.
In the morning session, the fours played by Don Bailey’s rink managed a win and claim four points, but Tony Steer’s triples rink lost out, making the scores level.
In the afternoon session, Ken Uglow won the men’s two-wood singles putting Saints ahead with six points. Jackie Pitman lost the ladies’ two-wood singles to even things up again.
The result was in the hands of the mixed pairs of Caroline Venn and Barrie Forse for the remaining four points and there were never more than two shots in the game until the 17th end when Saints dropped a five and that remained the difference.
You may also want to watch:
In the Wessex League, Saints had a resounding win against Nailsea at home. Don Bailey’s rink lost by just two shots, but Tony Steer’s rink made up for it with a 22 shot win.
The away rinks of Will Harrison and Barrie Forse also won by 13 shots.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 5 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 6 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 10 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
St Andrews 6, Moonfleet 10 (Top Club) - men’s two-wood singles: K Uglow 16-13; ladies’ two-wood singles: J Pitman 12-16; mixed pairs: C Venn, B Forse 16-21; mixed triples: M Campbell, J Ware, A Steer 16-19; mixed fours: P Uglow, M Pattenden, G Guest, D Bailey 20-18.
St Andrews 96, Nailsea 50 (Wessex League): R Smith, W Ainsworth, B Noddings, D Bailey 16-18; T Hyde, G Millard, P Aldus, A Steer 31-9; M Campbell, B Reeves, P Villis, W Harrison 25-12; K Uglow, J Laurent, R Venn, B Forse 24-11 (at 20 ends).
? Although losing to Wedmore, Woodspring put up a better performance than in previous games.
The high point was the home rink skipped by Jim Fairhurst, with Gordon Sansam leading Dave Fairhurst at two and Derek Hurst, coming from 10-12 down after 10 ends to win 21-20.
Tony Williams skipped the other home rink and was unfortunate to lose by just one shot. Martin Brummell skipped an away rink and managed to lead on a couple of accessions, but went down 23-20.
The other away rink skipped by Bob Hadley had a tight game, but the experience of away skip Eddie Payne came to the fore to knock Woodspring back, eventually losing by six shots.
Woodspring 74, Isle of Wedmore 83 - home: G Sansam, D Fairhurst, D Hurst, J Fairhurst 21-20; J Watson, F Bartram, G Finnegan, A Williams 18-19. Away D Cooper, P Gaulton, P Fisher, M Brummell 20-23; D Urch, M Bass, M Hedges, B Hadley 15-21.