Saints victorious in top of the table clash
Weston St Johns returned to winning ways with victory over Purnells.
AFTER a recent run of poor results, Saints returned to winning ways with a hard-earned victory over a good Purnells side.
Purnells are one of Saints’ main rivals in the race for promotion making this an important win. Saints started the brighter and only some last ditch defending by the visitors prevented them from taking the lead.
Gradually the game turned and Purnells had the upper hand forcing Saints defenders Andy Llewellyn, Dave Wilcox, Dean Pierson and James Bennellick to defend deeper. Only Purnells’ wayward finishing and three good saves by Saints keeper Ian Allchorne prevented them from taking a half-time lead.
Saints started the second half the stronger with Mark Adams and James Wotton controlling the midfield battle. They took the lead when Jack Clark’s corner was headed past the keeper by Danny Sprague.
You may also want to watch:
A moment’s hesitation at the back allowed Purnells to equalise with a close range shot, but Saints soon regained the lead. The goal came came when Sprague volleyed home a good cross from Wotton.
Saints should have wrapped the game up when Stockhall was again sent clear, but the keeper denied him again. As Purnells pushed forward for the equaliser they left gaps at the back which Saints should have capitalised on.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 3 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 4 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 5 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 6 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 7 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
- 8 Number of homes in major development could be reduced as amended plans submitted
- 9 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 10 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
Mike Carpenter was sent clear by Adams and with only the keeper to beat he pulled his shot wide. Rob Winter was causing Purnells defenders problems and a good pass sent Carpenter clear, but he shot wildly from a narrow angle with players waiting unmarked for a cross.
In the last minute Saints nearly paid for wasting chances when in a goalmouth scramble, Purnells had five attempts at goal blocked before Allchorne made a save to end the game.
The Mike Whittaker Building player of the match was Danny Sprague.