Sam finishes as runner-up
Sam Stephens finished as runner-up in the Minimax class of the Dunkeswell Kart Racing Championship.
WORLE School student Sam Stephens led the board in the Minimax class as he went into the last round of the Dunkeswell Kart Racing Championships which were held at the Mansell Raceway recently.
On the Saturday practice day, conditions were cold and there was little grip on the track which caused problems in getting the set-up right for race day. However, there was heavy rain all day on the Sunday which meant a completely different set-up for the kart.
Despite the atrocious weather conditions, the drivers were competing at a blistering pace. Sam was placed well down the grid in heats one and two and came in fourth each time.
In heat three, Sam started in pole position but there was a collision on the first bend and Sam ended up at the back of the pack although he drove tremendously well to claw his way back to fourth place by the end.
You may also want to watch:
Sam started the final in fourth place in deteriorating conditions and failing light and maintained his position.
Despite a disappointing last round of the championship, Sam is proud to be the runner-up in the Minimax class two years running, only missing out on being the champion this season by just six points.
- 1 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 2 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 3 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 4 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
- 5 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 6 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 7 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 8 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 9 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 10 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
This is a fantastic achievement as 14-year-old Sam has only been racing in this class for the last two years. Sam is also the current Minimax champion in the Dragon Challenge 2012, which is an inter-club competition between Dunkeswell and Llandow kart clubs.
Sam is grateful for current support from Barber Co, Worle Autos and Demon Tweeks. However, any further offers of sponsorship to enable him to continue in 2013 would be much appreciated. All enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org