Sam’s speedway success
Somerset Dickies Rebel Sam Masters has won speedway’s Premier League Riders’ Championship at Sheffield’s Owlerton Stadium.
SOMERSET Dickies Rebel Sam Masters has won speedway’s Premier League Riders’ Championship at Sheffield’s Owlerton Stadium, the highest individual rider accolade open to those competing in the sport’s second tier of racing.
Masters claimed two second places in his opening two rides before streaking to three consecutive heat victories to head the individual rider score-chart at the end of the 20 qualifying heats.
Masters was joined in the final by Ricky Ashworth, Ben Barker (Plymouth) and Kauko Nieminen (Leicester).
In the final, Masters sped from the start and was never seriously troubled as he raced away to claim the championship crown.
You may also want to watch:
“This is just awesome,” said a highly delighted Masters after the victory presentations, “you always come into a meeting like this hoping that it will be your night, but I just can’t believe that I am the champion, it hasn’t sunk in yet.”
Masters is the second Somerset rider to be crowned Premier League riders’ champion, following on from Magnus Zetterstrom’s victory in the event in 2006.
- 1 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 2 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 3 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 8 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 9 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 10 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset