Sam’s speedway success
Somerset Dickies Rebel Sam Masters has won speedway’s Premier League Riders’ Championship at Sheffield’s Owlerton Stadium.
SOMERSET Dickies Rebel Sam Masters has won speedway’s Premier League Riders’ Championship at Sheffield’s Owlerton Stadium, the highest individual rider accolade open to those competing in the sport’s second tier of racing.
Masters claimed two second places in his opening two rides before streaking to three consecutive heat victories to head the individual rider score-chart at the end of the 20 qualifying heats.
Masters was joined in the final by Ricky Ashworth, Ben Barker (Plymouth) and Kauko Nieminen (Leicester).
In the final, Masters sped from the start and was never seriously troubled as he raced away to claim the championship crown.
You may also want to watch:
“This is just awesome,” said a highly delighted Masters after the victory presentations, “you always come into a meeting like this hoping that it will be your night, but I just can’t believe that I am the champion, it hasn’t sunk in yet.”
Masters is the second Somerset rider to be crowned Premier League riders’ champion, following on from Magnus Zetterstrom’s victory in the event in 2006.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 3 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 4 Pupil awarded new bike for attending every lesson
- 5 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 6 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 7 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 8 Weston celebrates Great Big Green Week
- 9 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 10 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation