Seagulls announce Under-21 squad
Weston Football Club manager Craig Laird announced the formation of an Under-21 squad at a well-attended fans’ forum.
AT a well-attended fans’ forum at Weston Football Club, club manager Craig Laird announced the formation of an Under-21 squad.
This coming season the new squad will hopefully play a few friendlies, but for the following seasons they will be playing in an appropriate league.
“At the moment, there is a huge gap in ability between the Under-19s and the senior team and a lot of players do not get the chance to fulfil their full potential. However, the Under-21s will be a way of progressing to the senior squad.”
Asked about the strength of the playing staff, Craig admitted that the departure of Saha Kabba will be a big loss with his 16 goals last time. “But we have to move on. I have high expectations for Chas Hemmings, who came to us from Clevedon Town. He is a big strong lad who started his career at Bristol Rovers Academy and I can see him being in demand in the future.”
You may also want to watch:
Club president Denis Usher thanked all those who voluntarily worked preparing the stadium for the new season. “An awful amount of work went on to get things right and we are most grateful.
Groundsman Bob Flaskett was congratulated for his work for the club. Not only does he maintain the three pitches at the stadium, but last season raised a magnificent �10,000 in sponsorship.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 7 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 8 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 9 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 10 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
Asked about the absence of defender Jak Martin from this season’s squad, Mr Laird explained that the player was awaiting a hernia operation and when he will be back to full fitness will be sent out on loan to a Southern League club to regain match fitness.
The club chairman Paul Bliss congratulated Craig and his assistant Jon Haile for stabilising the club in the Blue Square South league. “Before Craig and John were recruited, we just avoided relegation three seasons running, but since their arrival, the club is now one of the feared in the division.”