Seagulls beaten by controversial penalty decision

WESTON-S-MARE 1 HAYES & YEADING UNITED 2 - A CONTROVERSIAL penalty denied Weston s injury-hit squad a possible share of the Blue Square South points against their third-placed London opponents.

WESTON-S-MARE 1HAYES & YEADING UNITED 2A CONTROVERSIAL penalty denied Weston's injury-hit squad a possible share of the Blue Square South points against their third-placed London opponents.Following a corner and a scramble for possession, Plymouth referee Lee Swabey awarded a penalty to the visitors much to the amanzement of both teams as there was not a claim by Hayes as they thought it was a free kick to Weston. To make things more confusing, the official later said it was for a handball, but if that were the case, he should have issued at least a yellow card. However, Will Hendry's spot kick was parried by keeper Ryan Northmore, diving to his left, but Staforde Palmer scored his second goal of the game from the rebound.Weston were missing Mike Green, Craig Rand, Scott Bartlett, Marc McGregor and Manny Williams, so manager Andy Gurney, himself also injured, dipped into the transfer market and brought in Thomas Evans, a central defender from Swindon Town, and Matt Groves, who played wide on the left, from Bristol Rovers, and both gave assured performances.To make matters worse for the Seagulls, Dayle Grubb suffered a nasty ankle injury on 14 minutes, another Academy youngster Dave Thorne taking over and before the interval, Tomasso Parrinello limped off, again with an ankle injury, Ben Willshire coming on.Commented physio David Callow: "We now have 11 players under treatment and I have to form a queue at the door of the medical room, but hopefully some will be back in the next couple of games."Weston made a bright start, Marvin Brown firing just wide from close range with a shot on the turn from Scott Partridge's pass on eight minutes.The deadlock was broken on 29 minutes when Ben Wells' free kick from his own half was knocked on by Charlie Comyn-Platt, in his last appearance for the club before moving to Australia, for Evans to hook the ball past keeper Delroy Preedie. Two minutes later, from Parrinello's quick throw, Wells' swerving volley from 25 yards shaved Preddie's far post.Hayes' best chance of the half fell on 41 minutes when Steve Gregory forced a flying save from Northmore with a 30-yard effort and in stoppage time forced another corner.Three minutes into the second half, it went wrong for Weston when Northmore was deceived by Palmer's cross-cum-shot from wide on the right which went in over the keeper's head and two minutes later came the penalty incident.Weston brought on striker Ryan Havard for Thorne and late on Havard had an effort on target and Adi Harris was just over with a free kick.WESTON STATSGoals: Weston, Evans (29). Hayes, Palmer (48, 50 penalty)Shots on target: Weston 3, Hayes 4.Shots off target: Weston 4, Hayes 4.Corners: Hayes 7.Offsides: Weston 1, Hayes 4.Free kicks conceded: Weston 8, Hayes 12.Referee: Lee Swabey (Plymouth). His actions speak for themselves.Bookings: Weston, Comyn-Platt, Kite, Havard. Hayes, Ruby, MulleyAttendance: 281.Weston squad: Northmore, Kite, Parrinello (Willshire 46), Harris, Evans, Comyn-Platt, Grubb (Thorne 14, Havard 77), Wells, Brown, Partridge, Groves. Subs (not used): Armstrong, Clark.ON Saturday, Weston travel to St Albans City in the return fixture, having drawn 1-1 in January, Manny Williams the scorer. Then on Tuesday, April 7, they are again on their travels for the return fixture with Hayes and Yeading.

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus