Seagulls classed as outsiders
WESTON have again been placed as big outsiders to win the Blue Square South next season by bookmakers.
Punters can get odds as long as 33/1 on the Seagulls taking the league title following a 12th-place finish last season.
Such odds hardly suggest national bookmakers believe in the team’s target for the play-offs, instead sensing a relegation struggle.
But the opinions do not worry the team’s assistant boss John Haile, who says his side revel in their underdog status.
He said: “I’m pleased with those odds because it means there is little or no expectation on the team and no-one will be talking about us.
You may also want to watch:
“Meanwhile, we believe we have a realistic target of reaching the league play-offs, we really don’t fear anyone.”
Tonight (Thurs), the players return to training after the summer break at the team’s ground in Winterstoke Road.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 3 Pupil awarded new bike for attending every lesson
- 4 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 5 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
- 6 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 7 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 8 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 9 Pilot dairy facility opens in food innovation centre
- 10 Weston schools to reintroduce extra-curricular clubs
They were joined by six players who are on trial following release from football league clubs as big as Stoke City.
Mr Haile said: “We have a solid squad with a few new faces which we look forward to getting back into training. A few more players are coming for trial in an attempt to get signed on and we’re going to take a good look at each one.”
Supporters coming to watch games at the Woodspring Stadium next season have escaped a hike in prices, thanks to a decision by club bosses.
Admittance for adults is still �10, while the price for senior citizens and under-16s has dropped to �6.
Season tickets are priced at �150 for adults and �95 for senior citizens until June 30, �180 and �110 after.