Seagulls crash to defeat
Weston crashed to the first defeat of the New Year, losing 3-0 at Boreham Wood.
BOREHAM WOOD 3
WESTON slipped to their first defeat of the New Year when they were outplayed by 13th placed Boreham Wood, but still stay in sixth spot in the Blue Square South table, just one place outside the play-offs.
They failed to cope with a gale-force diagonal wind and in truth managed just one attempt on target, a long-range effort from Nat Pepperell that gave a routine save to keeper Michael Jordan.
You may also want to watch:
In an even first half, the home side created the only chance when skipper Mario Noto fired narrowly wide.
A minute after the interval, Sahr Kabba for the only time in the game got away from giant central defender Omar Beckles only to fire over the home crossbar as he tried to lob Jordan.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 3 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 6 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 7 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 8 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 9 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
- 10 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
Boreham opened the scoring on 47 minutes when Billy Lobjoit, on his debut on loan from League One Leyton Orient, raced clear from the Weston defence and beat Lloyd Irish low to his left.
Boosted by this, Boreham kept pressure on with Irish making a double save to deny Lobjoit and David Bryant, but Lobjoit struck again on 65 minutes with another speedy run through the defence and firing past Irish. Before the end he had two more good chances to complete a hat-trick.
A minute into stoppage time, Boreham substitutes David Hutton and Sam Lechmere combined for Lechmere to score the third with a simple tap-in from barely a yard out.
Goals: Boreham, Lobjoit (47, 65), Lechmere (90).
Shots on target: Boreham 6, Weston 1.
Shots off target: Boreham 6, Weston 3.
Corners: Boreham 3, Weston 3.
Offsides: Boreham 1, Weston 3.
Free kicks conceded: Boreham 17, Weston 12.
Referee: David Woolford (Andover). Reasonable game. One of his officials failed to spot Lobjoit was offside when he ran through for the first score.
Bookings: Weston, Kirk, McGregor.
Weston squad: Irish, Price, Slocombe, Cleverley (Young 74), Villis, Laird, Ingram, Kirk, Kabba (McGregor 74), Trowbridge, Pepperell. Subs (not used): Martin, Diallo, Duharty.
ON Saturday, Weston will be looking to bounce back when Bromley provide the opposition at the Woodspring Stadium (3pm). The Kent-based side are one from bottom in the league, having won just five games.
When the sides met last season, Weston ran out 7-0 winners. Coincidentally, in their previous game, Weston lost 6-3 away at Boreham Wood.