Seagulls crash to defeat in fiesty encounter

WORCESTER CITY 4 WESTON-S-MARE 1 - WESTON crashed to their biggest defeat of the season in a fiery game that saw nine players receive yellow cards and there were 36 free kicks.



WESTON crashed to their biggest defeat of the season in a fiery game that saw nine players receive yellow cards and there were 36 free kicks, making Bristol referee Mark Russell the busiest man on the park.

With Clayton Fortune in for Tom Evans, the only Weston change from the side that picked up a point at Maidenhead, they made a positive start almost scoring straight from the kick-off when Scott Bartlett and Mike Green combined to burst down the right and with the Worcester defence missing the cross, Jack Compton back-heeled the ball into the six-yard box, but it was claimed by keeper Ben Hinchcliffe.

You may also want to watch:

Minutes later, Dave Gilroy was just off target and Jack Compton was wide with a free kick, while at the other end, Matt Birley had a soft shot on target.

Worcester forced a corner on 17 minutes when Rob Elvins effort was tipped over his bar by Kevin Sawyer and from Rob Davies' flag kick, former Weston favourite Marc McGregor opened the scoring with a far-post header.

Most Read

Weston came close again on 21 minutes when Compton's free kick reached Gilroy, but he managed to get the ball tangled between his feet and the danger was cleared.

From the clearance, Worcester attacked the Weston goal and when the ball was not fully cleared, Craig Wilding added the second with a 25-yard effort.

To their credit, Weston kept going with Compton causing problems down the left and from his crosses, Gilroy twice had the ball in the Worcester net, but both were ruled out for offside.

Five minutes into the second half, Ben Joyce had a low effort blocked by Hinchliffe's legs and from the clearance, Elvins burst through on his own and despite the attentions of Craig Rand and Fortune, scored the third.

Weston made a double substitution, bringing on Darren Mullings and Josh Klein-Davis for Ben Wells and Bartlett and they came more into the game, but they were hit again on 66 minutes when Wayne Daniel scored from Elkins' free kick.

Finally Weston brought on Dayle Grubb for Gilroy and their perseverance paid off on 77 minutes when, from Compton's corner, Joyce scored his first goal for the club.


Goals: Worcester, McGregor (18), Wilding (22), Elvins (51), Daniel (66). Weston, Joyce (77).

Shots on target: Worcester 8, Weston 4.

Shots off target: Worcester 6, Weston 5.

Corners: Worcester 7, Weston 3.

Offsides: Worcester 0, Weston 4.

Free kicks conceded: Worcester 15, Weston 21.

Referee: Mark Russell (Bristol). Good game in trying circumstances.

Bookings: Worcester, Daniel, Spencer, McGregor, Elkins. Weston, Rand, Mullings, Klein-Davis, Parrinello, Green.

Attendance: 823.

Weston squad: Sawyer, Green, Parrinello, Harris, Rand, Fortune, Bartlett (Klein-Davis 54), Wells (Mullings 54), Gilroy (Grubb 76), Compton. Subs (not used): Evans, Brown.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus