Seagulls crash to second defeat

WESTON crashed to their second Blue Square South defeat of the week, despite giving a much improved display than against Staines.

WESTON crashed to their second Blue Square South defeat of the week, despite giving a much improved display than against Staines.

From Saturday's starting line-up, Jack Compton continued in place of Mike Green, and Ben Wells, who also took a knock, was replaced by Josh Klein-Davis.

The Seagulls made a bright start with Compton's cross being cut out by home keeper Ross Kitteridge on three minutes, but soon after, Basingstoke's tricky winger Phil Ruggles burst through and Kevin Sawyer had to come to the edge of his area to dive at his feet and claim.

Last season, Weston were held to a draw at lowly Bognor Regis Town when loan signing from Reading Jahson Downes snapped up the only chance he was given to score. Now he has joined Basingstoke and, despite a lack of height, his speed and trickery were a constant threat to Weston's defence.

You may also want to watch:

This was rewarded on 21 minutes when he went down from a challenge by Sawyer, who is no lightweight, and referee Tony Mason yellow carded the keeper and awarded a penalty which Ruggles tucked away to open the scoring.

As Basingstoke began to dominate, Sawyer made two superb saves to deny Downes' well-struck efforts, but on 36 minutes, Basingstoke were awarded another penalty, the referee this time yellow-carding Clayton Fortune for some obscure reason. Former Chippenham Town striker David Pratt was entrusted with the kick, but Sawyer guessed correctly, getting down to his left to turn the effort behind for a corner.

Most Read

As Weston tried to get into the game, Josh Llewellyn fired narrowly wide and a minute before the break, the Seagulls were awarded the third penalty of the evening when the referee spotted a hand ball in a melee. Unfortunately, Ashan Holgate's weak effort was easily knocked away by Kitteridge.

Four minutes into the second half, Basingstoke struck again when poor defending allowed Jide Ogunbote a clear run on the right and his cross, which missed out Downes, found Pratt in acres of space to beat Sawyer despite the keeper getting a hand to the shot.

Marvin Brown brought fresh legs to the Weston attack on 55 minutes, taking over from Llewellyn, and with practically his first touch tested Kitteridge. Four minutes later, Weston were back in the game when Compton got the better of defender Robert Rice on the left and his low cross was thumped past Kitteridge by Holgate, to make amends for his earlier miss.

Weston made a double substitution on 68 minutes, bringing on Marc McGregor and Wells for Holgate and Klein-Davis and they began to take control. McGregor forced a corner on 82 minutes and from Compton's flag kick, Darren Mullings had a header turned behind by a defender from under his crossbar with Kitteridge beaten.

McGregor missed a great chance of levelling the scores four minutes from time when he was put through, but instead of chipping Kitteridge, who had come off his line, he gave the keeper an easy save with a shot.

Weston squad: Sawyer, Bartlett, Parrinello, Harris, Rand, Fortune, Klein-Davis (Wells 68), Mullings, Llewellyn (Brown 55), Holgate (McGregor 68), Compton. Subs (not used): Laborieux, Jeanne.

THE club has announced that due to technical difficulties, they are closing down their present website, but are opening a new one which will be found at with immediate effect.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus