Seagulls defeated by another last-minute goal

Soccer Westonv Concord.

Soccer Westonv Concord. - Credit: Archant

Visitors Concord Rangers scored in the third minute of time added on to defeat Weston 2-1.



FOR the second successive Vanarama Conference South game, Weston conceded a late score to narrowly lose.

In midweek, they were undone by a 90th-minute strike at Basingstoke and against their Canvey Island visitors they failed to defend a corner deep in stoppage time.

You may also want to watch:

For this game, manager Ryan Northmore recalled Aaron Brown to the midfield, with Jake Llewellyn playing wide on the left. Jake Mawford replaced Jamie Edge and George King was on the bench.

The game started at a furious pace with both side playing some delightful one-touch football. But there was little goalmouth activity, as defences dominated resulting in a scoreless first half.

Most Read

Weston’s best chance came on 34 minutes when Bradley Ash put Jamie Lucas beyond the Concord defence but his shot was blocked by the legs of keeper Josh Vickers, on loan from Arsenal.

Concord’s best chance fell five minutes later when Danny Glozier’s free kick met the head of James White, but Luke Purnell comfortably claimed the ball.

After forcing an early corner, Concord broke the deadlock on 56 minutes when Taylor Miles brushed off a couple of challenges and fired past Purnell from 15 yards.

As Weston pressed for an equaliser, Dayle Grubb’s free kick came off the top of the visitors’ crossbar and, in a scramble, Lucas’ effort was cleared off the line with Vickers beaten.

Purnell was in action again on 70 minutes, getting down to claim substitute Gary Ogilvie’s low cross as skipper Danny Stokes closed in. Stokes finished being tangled in the back of the net and had to be released by the referee.

Weston scored an equaliser on 85 minutes when, from Brown’s free kick, Jordan Tillson netted in a huge scramble.

The game looked to be heading for a draw until the 93rd minute when Weston conceded a corner and from Sam Collins’s flag kick, substitute Jay Dowie forced the ball over the line.


Goals: Weston, Tillson (85). Concord, Miles (56), Dowie (90+3).

Shots on target: Weston 2, Concord 2.

Shots off target: Weston 3, Concord 3.

Corners: Weston 2. Concord 3.

Offsides: Weston 0, Concord 1.

Free kicks conceded: Weston 6, Concord 5.

Referee: Derek Eaton (Tewkesbury). Excellent game, allowed play to flow.

Bookings: Concord, Fry.

Attendance: 495.

Weston squad: Purnell, Mitchell, Tillson, Mawford (Watkins 72), Brown, Fortune, Cane (McClennan 72), Ash (Edge 57), Lucas, Grubb, Llewellyn. Subs (not used): King, Sneddon-Combes.

ON Saturday, Weston made the long trip to Whitehawk, who are based in Brighton, with an 8.30am start.

DURING the interval of Saturday’s game, Geoff Stevens, community manager for the Sports Active Seagulls Community Trust, and pupils from Westhaven School, were presented with a cheque for £55,000 by Susan O’Brien, project manager for the Football Conference Trust.

The Trust is a charity that offers grant aid to Conference clubs to support and develop their community projects. Funding is made possible by the generous support of the Premier League and the Professional Footballers’ Association.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter