Seagulls denied victory by a late goal

CHELMSFORD CITY 2 WESTON-S-MARE 2 - A GOAL a minute from time denied Weston their first Blue Square South away win of the season at ninth-placed Chelmsford City.



A GOAL a minute from time denied Weston their first Blue Square South away win of the season at ninth-placed Chelmsford City, as they bounced back from the midweek embarrassment at Carshalton.

From the side bundled out of the FA Trophy, Craig Rand was missing after picking up a groin injury in training, but Ben Cleverley, who was cup-tied in midweek, was in the starting line-up with Marvin Brown, back from his loan spell at Worcester City along with keeper Kevin Sawyer, over his illness. Also included in the squad was latest loan signing, 19-year-old Chris Shepperd from Exeter City, but he did not come off the substitutes' bench.

You may also want to watch:

Under-19s captain Dayle Grubb was selected to lead the attack with Brown and he was just pipped for the man of the match with a superb display, causing all sorts of problems for the home defence.

Weston started in bullish fashion, with Jack Compton firing narrowly wide on four minutes and they did better a minute later when Grubb forced a corner and from Compton's flag kick, Cleverley got in front of the defence to beat keeper Craig Holloway from eight yards. Minutes later, Compton had an effort beaten out by Holloway at full stretch.

Most Read

Defending Weston's second corner on 16 minutes, Chelmsford central defender Simon Glover fell awkwardly and unfortunately broke an ankle and the game was held up for six minutes.

As Weston kept up pressure, Callum Hart was just wide from Compton's free kick and Grubb forced a fine reflex save from Holloway, before Ricky Holmes' speedy run from a breakout saw Chelmsford equalise on 35 minutes.

This tested Weston's character, would they cave in after that, but the question was answered two minutes later when Grubb was fouled outside the penalty area and from Compton' free kick, Cleverley fired in his second of the game. Before the interval, Cleverley was denied a hat-trick by a foul on Holloway and Grubb forced another corner when his effort was turned behind.

Chelmsford, determined to reach the play-offs, had more of the game and Weston substitute Tom Parrinello cleared Ricky Modeste's effort off his line with Sawyer beaten on 84 minutes and a minute later they were denied a goal by an offside flag.

In the last few minutes, they threw everyone forward and were rewarded when substitute Robert Edmans bundled in Holmes' corner to salvage an undeserved point.

Into injury time added on, Compton was unfortunately shown a red card for retaliation, but the referee missed the foul on Compton.


Goals: Chelmsford, Holmes (35), Edmans (89). Weston, Cleverley (4, 37).

Shots on target: Chelmsford 3, Weston 6.

Shots off target: Chelmsford 4, Weston 5.

Corners: Chelmsford 6, Weston 8.

Offsides: Chelmsford 3, Weston 2.

Free kicks conceded: Chelmsford 18, Weston 10.

Referee: Gavin Muge (Tottenhoe, Barkshire. Generally had a good game, but missed vital foul on Compton at the end.

Bookings: Chelmsford, Modeste, Rainford, Cook. Weston, Compton (red), Green.

Attendance: 1,072.

Weston squad: Sawyer, Green, Hart (Parrinello 46), Harris, Evans, Fortune, Cleverley, Bartlett, Grubb, Brown (Mullings 83), Compton. Subs (not used): Wells, Klein-Davis, Shepperd.

ON Saturday, Weston have another difficult game with a visit to Eastleigh.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus