Seagulls disrupted by injuries

Weston crashed to defeat at Staines, losing two players to injury and one being sent off.



WESTON suffered a torrid time as they crashed to defeat in their final away Blue Square South game of the season in Middlesex.

After just nine minutes central defender Mat Villis had to go off suffering with a partially dislocated shoulder after tangling with Staines’ Kyle Wassell and received hospital treatment, Marc McGregor taking over and going into defence.

You may also want to watch:

Then on 29 minutes skipper Ben Kirk limped off with a leg injury after colliding with a team-mate with Brett Trowbridge taking over. On top of that, Jamie Price was unavailable and Nabi Diallo deputised at wing-back.

Both Villis and Kirk are likely to miss the final league game against Dover and may also be absentees for the Somerset Premier Cup final against Clevedon Town.

Most Read

To add to their woes, McGregor was shown a second yellow card by Salisbury referee Ian Parsons, so Weston played the final 33 minutes with 10 men.

In the first half, Weston looked dire, unable to string two passes together and were on the back foot for long periods as Staines went looking for a win to guarantee safety from relegation.

Staines threatened down the right with speedy runs by Andre Scarlett and Weston keeper Lloyd Irish did well to cut out a low cross on 20 minutes, but two minutes later the home side opened the scoring with McGregor lost out in a challenge by Vassell, the ball squirted out to Ali Chaaban, who appeared to be in an offside position but was allowed to continue and easily beat Irish, one of several contentious decisions made by the officials.

Staines struck again on 26 minutes when the unfortunate McGregor picked up a yellow card for tripping David Wheeler and Will Antwi beat Irish from the penalty spot.

Weston’s only effort on target in the half came from Dayle Grubb on 40 minutes, giving an easy save to home keeper Danny Potter.

For the second half, Weston looked a different side, playing just as they did earlier in the season, finding each other with crisp passes and soon had Staines defending desperately. Kane Ingram went close on 47 minutes and they pulled a goal back on 50 minutes when Ingram struck a superb 20-yard free kick which left Potter glued to the spot.

When McGregor was dismissed for tripping Chaaban, Weston reorganised and kept up pressure with Nat Pepperell having a effort punched to safety by Potter and Chris Young firing just wide, but they failed to get the score they deserved.


Goals: Staines, Chaaban (22), Antwi (26 penalty). Weston, Ingram (50).

Shots on target: Staines 3, Weston 4.

Shots off target: Staines 3, Weston 5.

Corners: Staines 3, Weston 5.

Offsides: Staines 4, Weston 3.

Free kicks conceded: Staines 18, Weston 9.

Referee: Ian Parsons (Salisbury). Made some contentious decisions but was not best helped by his assistants.

Bookings: Staines, Risbrdger, Vassell. Weston, McGregor (2 yellows), Pepperell, Grubb, Slocombe. Also, assistant manager John Haile was ordered from the dugout.

Attendance: 283.

Weston squad: Irish, Diallo, Slocombe, Grubb, Villis (McGregor 9), Laird, Cleverley (Kabba 56), Kirk (Trowbridge 29), Young, Ingram, Pepperell. Sub (not used): Duharty.

WESTON play their final Blue Square South game of the season on Saturday when Dover, who are looking for a play-off place, provide the opposition (3pm).

Tickets are still available for the end of season presentation evening on May 5, priced at �12 for adults. This includes a buffet and disco.

For the Somerset Premier Cup final at Clevedon, the supporters are running a coach from Woodspring Park and seats may be booked at the club at Saturday’s game.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter