Seagulls ease past Bishop Sutton in Somerset Cup
FOR the first time in several seasons Weston made progress in the Somerset Premier Cup.
BISHOP SUTTON 1
FOR the first time in several seasons Weston made progress in the Somerset Premier Cup, overcoming a spirited Bishop Sutton, who lie in fourth spot of the Premier Division of the Toolstation Western League.
Weston took an early lead, but the home side equalised before the interval, but in the second period, Weston’s superior fitness showed and they finished easy winners.
You may also want to watch:
Stand-by goalkeeper Stuart Wood was given a rare run-out, manager Craig Laird’s younger son Craig junior led the attack, but apart from those two, Weston fielded a strong squad.
Playing up the slope in the first half, Weston took the lead on 11 minutes when Craig Laird beat home keeper Chris Blammon from Justin Poater’s left wing cross. A minute later, at the other end, Wood pulled off a great reflex save to deny Darren Hawkins and on 15 minutes, Pete Sheppard headed wide from yards out from an open goal.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 3 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 New leadership team for charity
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Sheppard did better on 38 minutes when a good pass that split the Weston defence sent him on a speedy run down the left and he finished well by cutting inside and beating Wood.
Three minutes into the second half, Weston regained the lead when Kane Ingram flicked a header past Blammon from Gayle Grubb’s free kick and they struck again on 58 minutes when, from Jamie Price’s tremendous cross from the right, Ingram headed back across goal for Porter to score with a simple tap-in.
Weston brought on Ryan Hodrien for Craig Laird and Jake Mawford for Dayle Grubb and they completed the scoring on 85 minutes when Ingram was brought down and Nat Pepperell scored from the penalty spot.
Goals: Sutton, Sheppard (38). Weston, Craig Laird (11), Ingram (48), Porter (58), Pepperell (85, penalty).
Shots on target: Sutton 2, Weston 6.
Shots off target: Sutton 2, Weston 5.
Corners: Sutton 3, Weston 6.
Offsides: Sutton 1, Weston 3.
Free kicks conceded: Sutton 16, Weston 9.
Referee: Bob Abrams (Bridgwater). Good game.
Bookings: Sutton, Hawkins, Farmer. Weston, Craig Laird, Jamie Laird.
Weston squad: Wood, Price, Slocombe, Rand, Jamie Laird, Gilbert, Ingram, Dayle Grubb (Mawford 71), Craig Laird (Hodrien 65), Pepperell. Subs (not used): Kirk, Trowbridge, Duharty.