Seagulls’ FA Trophy run ends in defeat
- Credit: Archant
Weston’s FA Trophy run was ended with a home defeat against Farnborough.
WESTON’S interest in this season’s FA Trophy was ended by Farnborough who gained revenge for conceding a Vanarama Conference South double at the Woodspring Stadium earlier in the week.
The Seagulls were missing Clayton Fortune and Jake Llewellyn and the defence looked fragile against a determined opposition.
You may also want to watch:
However, they were given the best of starts, forcing a corner after five minutes. Dayle Grubb’s flag kick was only cleared as far as Jake Mawford, whose low effort from distance was again knocked away by the defence. Mawford regained possession and beat Farnborough keeper Dillon Barnes with a strong 25-yard low effort that took a deflection.
The lead lasted a bare five minutes when Dan Bennett, on his last appearance for the club, was given time and space by a hesitant defence to beat Luke Purnell with a deflected effort.
- 1 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 2 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 3 Housing development for greenfield site in Nailsea approved
- 4 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 5 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 6 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 7 Mother launches fundraising challenge as she battles cancer
- 8 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 9 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 10 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
As Weston tried to get back, loan signing from Exeter City, Matt Jay, was put through a couple of times, but Barnes came off his line each time to make crucial blocks.
With his third goal against Weston inside a week, Duncan Culley gave the visitors the lead on 25 minutes, when more poor defending allowed him in to fire past Purnell.
Bennett made sure of the win three minutes into the second half, cutting in from the right and scoring with a shot that slipped through Purnell’s arms.
After that, the home attack failed to break down the Farnborough defence and had to be content with four fruitless corners.
Goals: Weston, Mawford (6). Farnborough, Bennett (10, 48), Culley (25).
Shots on target: Weston 4, Farnborough 6.
Shots off target: Weston 6, Farnborough 6.
Corners: Weston 8, Farnborough 5.
Offsides: Weston 2, Farnborough 2.
Free kicks conceded: Weston 7, Farnborough 11
Referee: Robert Massey-Ellis (Coventry). Good game, easy to handle.
Bookings: Weston, Mawford. Farnborough, Treacher, Richens, Brice.
Weston squad: Purnell, Mitchell, Fiddes (McClennan 58), Edge, Jordan, Brown, Mawford, Jay, Ash (Ingram 84), Grubb, Watkins. Subs (not used): Buxton, Cane, Camper.
ON Saturday, Weston travel to Ebbsfleet in London, looking for another Vanarama Conference South double, having won 3-2 when the sides met in September.