Seagulls fail to take opportunities

Brett Trowbridge.

Brett Trowbridge. - Credit: Archant

WESTON manager Craig Laird said his side dominated over the bank holiday weekend, where the Seagulls came away with a 1-1 draw at home against Havant and Waterlooville, but lost 2-3 to Basingstoke.

The side dropped to 12th in the Skrill South table, with only two wins in the past 10 games and one left to play.

Laird said: “We dominated the games but couldn’t convert our opportunities which has been our Achilles heel this season.

“We would have liked to have been in the play-offs, but the league never lies. We know where we are as a team.

“We have a young squad and have not been able to strengthen at the right time where we have sustained injuries and suspensions.

You may also want to watch:

“It has been another good year for the club where we have not had to worry about relegation.

“We are already preparing for next season and are talking to some new players and also looking to keep the ones we’ve got.”

Most Read

Havant and Waterlooville visited the Woodspring Stadium on Friday searching for three crucial points to secure a play-off spot.

Havant took the lead after 16 minutes when Nigel Atangana got the better of Jamie Laird and fired over the head of keeper Luke Purnell.

But it was the last effort from Havant for the remainder of the half as the Seagulls began to dominate.

Weston took the game to the wire, rewarded on 84 minutes when Callum Laird scored in a scramble following the Seagulls’ fourth corner of the match.

The Seagulls were punished by two glaring errors in the game away at Basingstoke on bank holiday Monday, where they lost 3-2.

Basingstoke’s breakthrough came on 15 minutes when Liam Enver-Marum burst unchallenged into the Weston penalty area and fired low past Purnell.

Weston pushed for an equaliser, but two minutes before the break, Basingstoke struck again when a miscued clearance fell to Shaun McAuley who beat Purnell from close range.

Weston got a goal back a minute later with Alec Fiddes beating McDonnell with a 25-yard snap shot.

The Seagulls dominated the second half but a long clearance fell again to Enver-Marum who made no mistake, shooting past Purnell.

Callum Laird scored his second goal of the weekend on 77 minutes from Grubb’s angled free kick.

On Saturday, Weston will play the final game of the season with a visit from Chelmsford.

After the game, the club is holding a presentation evening and tickets, priced £12, are still available.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus