Seagulls finish home matches in style

Weston AFC v Maidenhead.

Weston AFC v Maidenhead. - Credit: Archant

Weston finished their home Vanarama National Conference South fixtures with victory over Maidenhead United.



WESTON ended their home Vanarama National Conference South fixtures in some style, ensuring their continuance at that level and denting the visitors’ chances of reaching the play-offs.

Maidenhead, who came with a record of 16 wins and 10 draws from their 40 games, were outplayed by a resolute home side who took control for long periods.

You may also want to watch:

In the game’s first minute, Jacob Cane headed down an attempted Maidenhead clearance for Scott Wilson to burst into the six-yard box only for keeper Carl Pentney to come off his line to claim.

Minutes later Pentney was in action again, claiming a dangerous cross by Joe McClennan and then the keeper beat out shots by McClennan and Dayle Grubb in quick succession. Then the keeper denied Cane, Wilson and Tristan Plummer.

Most Read

In occasional Maidenhead attacks, Josh Huggins just failed to connect properly with a deep cross and later James Conly struck the base of a post.

Weston’s Jake Llewellyn had to go off after 30 minutes with a leg injury, Ben Withey taking over.

Weston attacked from the start of the second half and were rewarded on 51 minutes when Plummer was brought down by Maidenhead skipper Alan Massey and Wilson sent Pentney the wrong way from the penalty spot.

The visitors created a great chance of equalising on the hour as Jake Reid delivered a strong header from point-blank range, but home keeper Luke Purnell, diving to his left, saved on the line.

Maidenhead then withdrew both full backs, opting for a more attacking formation and they forced a string of corners, with the home defence of Senaki Simpson, Withey, Pat Keary and Clayton Fortune dominated.

When a Maidenhead corner was cleared on 82 minutes, the ball fell for Grubb who raced from half way into the penalty area and firing low past Pentney to seal the win.


Goals: Weston, Wilson (51, penalty), Grubb (82).

Shots on target: Weston 8, Maidenhead 3.

Shots off target: Weston 3, Maidenhead 3.

Corners: Weston 3, Maidenhead 5.

Offsides: Weston 3, Maidenhead 2.

Free kicks conceded: Weston 9, Maidenhead 9.

Referee: Anthony Coggins. Usual good game.

Bookings: Weston, Wilson, Ingram. Maidenhead, Conley.

Attendance: 491.

Weston squad: Purnell, Simpson, Llewellyn (Withey 30), Cane Keary, Fortune, McClennan, Plummer, Wilson (Mawford 84), Grubb, Edge (Ingram 63). Subs (not used): Barnes, Varouxakis.

ON Saturday, Weston play their final game of the season when they travel to Havant & Waterlooville, who have to win two more games to avoid relegation.

BEFORE the game against Maidenhead, Weston chairman Paul Bliss made a presentation to club skipper Dayle Grubb to mark his 200th appearance for the club.



WESTON paid the price of fielding a weakened side as they were knocked out of the Somerset Premier Cup by their Toolstation Division 1 visitors.

Manager Ryan Northmore took over in goal, while Matt Trybull, Zemell Burton and Tyler Davis, all of the Under-18s, started along with recent signing Ntenis Gkotzai.

In a drab first-half, Northmore pulled off a superb point-blank save to deny Wells’ Scott Batchelor, but Weston took the lead on 40 minutes as Ioannis Varouxakis netted from Ben Withey’s pass.

In the second half, Wells grew in confidence and equalised on 53 minutes when Leon Britton fed substitute Jacob Brown to score. The winner came on 78 minutes when Scott Batchelor headed past Northmore from Scott Saunders’ cross.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter