Seagulls held in competitive friendly
WESTON-S-MARE 3 HINCKLEY UNITED 3 - WESTON fielded what will probably be their starting line-up for their opening Blue Square South game of the season on August 8 for the first half of this entertaining game against Blue Square North opponents.
HINCKLEY UNITED 3
WESTON fielded what will probably be their starting line-up for their opening Blue Square South game of the season on August 8 for the first half of this entertaining game against Blue Square North opponents.
The squad included Clayton Fortune, who signed after Saturday's game, and Leon Jeanne, who needs international clearance from the Welsh FA before committing himself to the Seagulls.
You may also want to watch:
Hinckley were first to show, with Ange Loroughnan heading just wide from Lee Collins' cross on three minutes, but on five minutes Ash Holgate hit a Hinckley post with a firm header from Ben Wells' free kick and a minute later Josh Llewellyn fired narrowly across goal.
Weston broke the deadlock on 13 minutes when Hinckley keeper Chris MacKenzie could only parry Jack Compton's fierce shot from Scott Bartlett's cross from the right and Holgate was on hand to fire in the rebound. Six minutes later Weston struck again when Bartlett's through pass gave Llewellyn the opportunity to show off his pace by sprinting clear of the defence and firing low past MacKenzie.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Two charged with burglary and fraud
As Hinckley came into the game, Loroughnan fired across goal and Adam Webster hit a post before Connor Franklin pulled a goal back on 31 minutes as Weston failed to clear a corner.
A minute into the second half, Llewellyn almost made it three when he fired narrowly wide after exchanging passes with Bartlett, but Llewellyn did better on 61 minutes when he rounded MacKenzie, who came well outside his area, and rolled the ball into the empty net.
After that, both side made sweeping changes, and Matt West scored for Hinckley on 79 minutes and Webber got the equaliser two minutes from time.
Weston's starting line-up: Kevin Sawyer, Mike Green, Tomaso Parrinello, Adi Harris, Craig Rand, Clayton Fortune, Scott Bartlett, Ben Wells, Josh Llewellyn, Ashan Holgate, Jack Compton.
Second half replacements: Mark McKeever, Marvin Brown, Leon Jeanne, Marc McGregor, Darren Mullings, Eric Labourieux and former Bristol Rovers striker Josh Klein-Davies.