Seagulls hold City to a draw
Weston hold a Bristol City XI containing several first team players to a 2-2 draw at Woodspring Park.
BRISTOL CITY XI 2
WESTON’S preparations for the Blue Square South season received a boost when they were held by a strong City squad containing several first team players.
They continued to play attractive football on the ground and were never overawed by their full-time opponents. The game was watched by 605 paying customers.
You may also want to watch:
The first chance came on eight minutes when Brett Trowbridge burst through on the right, but he fired wide when challenged by giant defenders Danny Ball and Kalifa Cisse.
Although City forced a couple of corners they had to wait until the 15th minute for their first attempt on target, Joe Edwards giving an easy save to Lloyd Irish. However, City took the lead on 24 minutes when Aaron Holloway’s snap shot beat Irish low to his right.
- 1 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 2 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 3 Housing development for greenfield site in Nailsea approved
- 4 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 5 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 6 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 7 Mother launches fundraising challenge as she battles cancer
- 8 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 9 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 10 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
As Weston got into the game they forced two corners and Nat Pepperall had a good cross cut out by City keeper Lewis Carey. The Seagulls equalised on 34 minutes when Carey was robbed when dealing with a short back-pass for Kane Ingram to run the ball into the empty net.
Two minutes into the second half City were awarded a penalty when Edwards was sent sprawling, and Nicky Hunt scored from the spot.
As City began to dominate, they forced several more corners, but Irish was never troubled. City’s best chance fell to Chris Riberio 67th minute header was just over from Lee Johnson’s curling free kick.
City might have thought they had done enough to earn a narrow win, but five minutes from time, Nabi Diallo intercepted an attempted clearance and put Pepperell through to beat Carey.
Weston squad: Irish, Price, Jamie Laird, Trowbridgee, Villis, Martin, Ingram, Kirk, Diallo, Huxley, Pepperall. Young, Mackay, Booth, Craig Laird, Kabba, Beadle, Maggs, Grubb.