Seagulls march into the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup

Weston defeat Havant & Waterlooville 3-2 to reach the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup.



WESTON have reached the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup with a hard-earned win over a resolute Havant side and they pick up a further �7,500 in prize money for their troubles.

This is the first time Weston have gone this far in the competition since 2003-04 when they reached the second round proper, going out to Northampton Town.

You may also want to watch:

Although the game was played in a good sporting manner, Okehampton referee Andrew Bennett issued seven yellow cards and awarded two penalties and 30 other free kicks.

The visitors were given the best possible start when, on three minutes, Weston keeper Lloyd Irish, in claiming a cross, was booked for bringing down former Bristol City striker Lee Peacock and Steve Ramsey put them in front from the penalty spot.

Most Read

As Weston got into their stride, Jamie Laird went close on 14 minutes after finishing a strong run and they drew level five minutes later when man of the match Dayle Grubb’s perfectly flighted diagonal free kick reached Jamie Price who beat keeper Lyall Beazely with a superb header just inside the far post.

Grubb forced a good save from Beazely on 23 minutes and six minutes later Havant’s Jake Newton picked up a booking for tugging Kane Ingram back and Nat Pepperell kept up his 100 per cent record from the penalty spot to put Weston in the lead.

The home goal had a let-off on 33 minutes when, from former Bristol Rovers wide man Sammy Igoe’s cross, Peacock headed on for Neil Barrett whose effort was scrambled to safety.

Grubb finished a strong run by firing narrowly across goal before Havant drew level on the stroke of half-time when, with Irish off his line, Peacock’s lop was fisted to safety by the keeper only as far as Oliver Palmer who easily scored.

Havant had a dominant spell early in the second half, forcing two corners and Barrett had a header cleared off the goal-line by Price with Irish beaten. Then Craig Braham-Barrett forced a full-length save from Irish.

But with their first serious attack of the half, Weston got back the lead when former Bath City and Weston central defender Chris Holland slipped when making a challenge and Mike Mackay, leading the home attack, easily scored with Beazely off his line.

Havant came close to equalising again on 61 minutes when Braham-Peacock cracked a shot off Irish’s crossbar, while at the other end just after Pepperell’s lob was turned over his bar by Beazely.

Near the end, another Igoe cross saw substitute Scott Jones forcing a good save from Irish with a header and in the last Weston attack substitute Sahr Kabba had an effort beaten to safety by Beazely.


Goals: Weston, Price (19), Pepperell (29, penalty), Mackay (53). Havant, Ramsay (3, penalty), Palmer (45).

Shots on target: Weston 6, Havant 7.

Shots off target: Weston 4, Havant 6.

Corners: Weston 8, Havant 4.

Offsides: Weston 1, Havant 1.

Referee: Andew Bennett (Okehampton). Good game after a nervous start.

Bookings: Weston, Irish, Pepperell, Young, Ingram. Havant, Newton, Holland, Braham-Barrett.

Attendance: 333.

Weston squad: Irish Price, Jamie Laird, Grubb, Villis, Martin, Ingram, Kirk, Mackay (Kabba 56), Diallo (Young 35), Pepperell. Subs (not used): Cleverley, Slocombe, Trowbridge, Huxley.

ON Saturday, Weston are back in Blue Square South action when Eastbourne Borough, relegated from the Conference Premier at the end of last season make the long trip to the Woodspring Stadium for a 3pm kick-off.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus