Seagulls move into play-off spots

Weston moved into the Blue Square South play-off spots thanks to a 2-0 victory over Tonbridge Angels.



WESTON are in a Blue Square South play-off spot thanks to their latest win over their Kent visitors as they extended their unbeaten run to five games.

They are now in fifth place in the table with 30 points, but Chelmsford, who are below them on goal difference, have two games in hand.

You may also want to watch:

Said a delighted chairman Paul Bliss, speaking to the Weston Mercury: “This was a good win over a side just below us in the table. At the moment we are looking a solid squad, with a settled defence. Today, we had good performances from all over the pitch and were unlucky not to have scored a couple more goals.”

From the side that won at Bath City on Boxing Day, two-goal hero Kane Ingram was on the bench and Dayle Grubb was recalled to the starting line-up.

Most Read

After forcing an early corner, Weston almost took the lead on five minutes when man of the match Ashley Kington cracked a 35-yard effort off the angle of crossbar and post with the Tonbridge keeper Lee Worgan rooted to the spot.

As the visitors got into the game, marksman Frannie Collin was just off target with a 30-yard free kick and then Collin gave an easy save to home keeper Lloyd Irish.

Weston’s pressure paid off on 38 minutes when Martin Slocombe fed Kington who played a delightful pass to top scorer Ross Stearn and the little man rarely misses such an opportunity to easily beat Worgan.

The Tonbridge goal had a scare just before the interval whistle when Stearn sliced through the defence on the right and fed Kayne McClaggon whose effort was blocked by Worgan’s legs and McClaggon fired over from the rebound. There was still time for Kington to force a decent save from Worgan.

Early in the second half, Tonbridge had slightly more of the midfield play, forcing their first corner on 49 minutes and unmarked George Purcell had a weak shot on target when he should have done better. As an attacking force, Tonbridge were undisciplined, being caught offside 11 times during the game.

As Weston regained domination, Grubb forced another good save from Worgan with a free kick, but they did better on 68 minutes. McClaggon threaded his way through the visitors’ defence only for his shot to again be blocked by Worgan’s legs. This time, however, Stearn picked up the rebound, beat the remaining defender and fired into the empty net.

Tonbridge thought they had scored on 78 minutes when Chris Piper headed past Irish. The home defenders immediately went to the referee’s assistant, and after a few minutes referee Andy Quelch from New Milton ruled that Piper was offside and gave Weston a free kick. For protesting, Tonbridge’s Henry Muggeridge picked up a yellow card.


Goals: Weston, Stains (38, 68).

Shots on target: Weston 8, Tonbridge 3.

Shots off target: Weston 3, Tonbridge 2

Corners: Weston 1, Tonbridge 2.

Offsides: Weston 2, Tonbridge 11.

Free kicks conceded: Weston 15, Tonbridge 17.

Referee: Andy Quelch (New Maldon). Good game, inclined to be a little fussy with 32 free kicks.

Attendance: 294

Weston squad: Irish, Price, Slocombe, Trowbridge, Villis, Jamie Laird, Stearn (Egan 74, McClaggon (Ingram 77), Grubb. Subs (not used): Diallo, Monks, Callum Laird.

ON Saturday, Weston are in London to take on Hayes and Yeading, who were relegated from the Conference Premier last season. When the sides met in the opening day of the season, they drew 1-1, with Kane Ingram the scorer.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus