Seagulls move out of the relegation zone
- Credit: Archant
Weston pulled clear of the Vanarama Conference South relegation zone with a 2-1 home victory over Basingstoke Town.
BASINGSTOKE TOWN 1
WESTON pulled clear of the Vanarama Conference South relegation zone thanks to two second-half goals by skipper Dayle Grubb.
They are now in 17th spot in the table, a point above Havant & Waterlooville with a game in hand and two points better off than Bath City with the same number of games played.
You may also want to watch:
Weston had to work hard to break down a Basingstoke side who defended well and set up only one attack which brought an equaliser.
In a poor first half there was a complete lack of goalmouth activity with Joe McClennan firing straight at visiting keeper Aaron Howe the only effort on target, while Basingstoke forced two corners.
- 1 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 2 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 3 Housing development for greenfield site in Nailsea approved
- 4 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 5 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 6 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 7 Mother launches fundraising challenge as she battles cancer
- 8 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 9 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 10 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
Play improved in the second half, with Grubb firing narrowly across goal early on. Then, McClennan delivered a superb cross from the right that was just missed by Scott Wilson.
The opening goal came on 58 minutes when Grubb soloed in from the left and fired diagonally across Howe.
The sides were level on 65 minutes as former Weston favourite Manny Williams led a fast flowing break-out finished by Louie Soares scrambling the ball past Luke Purnell from close range.
The winner came on 86 minutes after shots by Wilson and Jacob Cane were beaten out only for Grubb to make sure from 10 yards.
Goals: Weston, Grubb (58, 86). Basingstoke, Soares (65).
Shots on target: Weston 5, Basingstoke 2.
Shots off target: Weston 4, Basingstoke 5.
Corners: Weston 3, Basingstoke 5.
Free kicks conceded: Weston 7, Basingstoke 8.
Referee: Steven Plane. Good game, allowed play to flow.
Bookings: Weston, Keary, Barnes. Basingstoke, Bird.
Weston squad: Purnell, Simpson, Llewellyn, Cane, Keary, Barnes, McClennan (Mawford 85), Plummer (Pope 79), Wilson, Grubb (Fortune 85), Edge. Subs (not used): Ingram, Varouxakis.