Seagulls’ poor home form continues
- Credit: Archant
Weston’s dismal home form continued as Concord Rangers returned home to Essex with all three points.
CONCORD RANGERS 3
WESTON’S miserable home form continued as they conceded a Vanarama National South League double to their Essex visitors, who have scored seven goals in the two games.
This leaves Weston still in the relegation zone and without a home win this season.
You may also want to watch:
Last week at Brighton, the Weston defence were largely responsible for the win over Whitehawk, but this time they had no answer to a physical determined attack.
Weston were still missing injured central defender Clayton Fortune and Dayle Grubb, who was on the bench, while striker Mitchell Page has left the club.
- 1 New leadership team for charity
- 2 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 5 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 6 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 7 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 8 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 9 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 10 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
Concord took control from the start, forcing a couple of corners and with Ben Greenhalgh firing narrowly over on 10 minutes. Then Greenhalgh forced a corner with a low free kick.
Practically constant pressure paid off on 22 minutes when Greenhalgh put Lewis Taaffe in space to easily beat Luke Purnell in the home goal.
In the first-half, little was seen of the home attack. Jake Mawford delivered a superb cross into the Concord six-yard box, but nobody was able to supply the final touch with the goal gaping.
Later, Mawford tested keeper Ben McNamara from distance and skipper Jamie Edge fired over.
Weston came more into the game early in the second half, forcing a couple of corners, but on 61 minutes, Taaffe struck again, winning a tussle on the edge of the home penalty area and beating Purnell from 15 yards.
Again Mawford tested McNamara from distance, only for Concord skipper James White to seal the win, firing low past Purnell.
Goals: Concord, Taaffe (22, 61), White (74).
Shots on target: Weston 3, Concord 8.
Shots off target: Weston 3, Concord 4.
Corners: Weston 3, Concord 6.
Offsides: Weston 4, Concord 0.
Free kicks conceded: Weston 7, Concord 7.
Referee: Gary Parsons (Dorset). Excellent game was hardly noticed
Bookings: Weston, Barnes, Cane. Concord, Hammond, Stephen.
Weston squad: Purnell, Withey, Barnes, Cane, Edge, Keary, Byrne, Ash (Grubb 72), Wilson (Plummer 66), Mawford, McClennan (Wring 77). Subs (not used): Burton, Fortune.
ON Saturday, Weston are on the road again, this time to Gosport Borough in the Vanarama National League South and they will be looking to add to their three away wins.
The party leaves at 10am.