Seagulls reach Somerset Cup final
Weston defeated Brislington to reach the final of the Somerset Cup.
WESTON reached the final of the Somerset Premier Cup for the second successive season with a narrow win at Iron Mould Lane and have set up a tasty local derby final with old rivals Clevedon.
The North Somerset outfit have also reached the final by beating Taunton Town in the other semi-final at Wordsworth Drive 4-2 after coming from behind.
You may also want to watch:
As a spectacle, Weston’s game was spoilt by the referee who awarded 48 free kicks in a game with hardly a bad foul. Challenges that were quite acceptable at Blue Square South level were punished, leaving a start-stop situation that was frustrating for spectators. Yet the official could have awarded a penalty to both sides.
The home side started strongly, forcing three early corners, but Weston keeper Lloyd Irish was never seriously tested as Brislington failed to find the target.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 3 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 4 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 5 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 6 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 7 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
- 8 Number of homes in major development could be reduced as amended plans submitted
- 9 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 10 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
The crucial goal came on 28 minutes when Kane Ingram’s fourth corner was headed across goal to Jamie Price on the far post. Price managed to keep the ball in play and knocked it back into the six-yard box for Mat Villis to head past Brislington keeper Chris Humphries.
Later in the half, Ingram cracked a free kick against the home crossbar and just before the break Weston forced four consecutive corners and a free kick in a dangerous position.
The second half was again spoilt by a string of free kicks, with Weston’s best chance falling for Brett Trowbridge who also cracked an effort against the home crossbar.
Goal: Weston, Villis (28).
Shots on target: Brislington 2, Weston 5.
Shots off target: Brislington 5, Weston 6.
Corners: Brislington 4, Weston 10.
Offsides: Brislington 4, Weston 2.
Free kicks conceded: Brislington 20, Weston 28.
Bookings: Brislington, Plummer, Peters, Peart. Weston, Pepperell.
Weston squad: Irish, Price, Slocombe, Young (Duharty 86), Villis, Laird, Ingram (Grubb 68), Kirk, McGregor, Trowbridge, Pepperell (Diallo 68). Subs (not used): Cleverley, Kabba.