Seagulls share the points with Gosport
- Credit: Archant
Weston were held to a draw by Gosport Borough, despite the Seagulls having the better of the chances.
GOSPORT BOROUGH 1
WHEN Gosport visited the Woodspring Stadium back in August, they ran out easy 5-0 winners. But if the Hampshire-based outfit thought they were in for an easy passage in the return fixture, they were in for a nasty surprise.
From the side that started at Whitehawk, Jordan Tillson had returned to Exeter City at the end of his loan period, and Joe McClennan was not available. So Olly Barnes slotted into the defence and Olly Watkins spearheaded the attack with Bradley Ash.
You may also want to watch:
Playing down the slight slope in the first half, Weston dominated, with home keeper Nathan Ashmore bringing off a string of first-class saves to deny Watkins, Dayle Grubb, Ash, Jacob Cane and Jake Llewellyn and Gosport barely able to get out of their own half.
Weston’s pressure paid off on 30 minutes when, from their seventh corner taken by Grubb, Barnes got in front of his marker to head firmly past Ashmore.
- 1 Businesses refused to reopen after lockdown due to staff safety fears in Weston town centre
- 2 Weston family who had home transformed featured on DIY SOS
- 3 Winter Gardens set to open newly refurbished eatery
- 4 Asymptomatic coronavirus testing pilot starts with college students from next week
- 5 Mural nears completion in Weston
- 6 Girl, 11, suffers serious injuries after collision with car
- 7 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 8 Fruit and veg shop to continue running delivery service for Christmas
- 9 Brain tumour survivor Lyra, aged 7, aims to top charts with Christmas charity single
- 10 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
After the interval, Gosport made a couple of changes and came more into the game, but Ashmore was the busier of the two keepers. However, in an isolated attack on 77 minutes, substitute Tom Dunford cut in from the right and fired low under Luke Purnell for an undeserved share of the points.
Goals: Gosport, Dunford (77), Weston Barnes (30).
Shots on target: Gosport 4, Weston 8.
Shots off target: Gosport 3, Weston 4.
Corners: Gosport 7, Weston 8.
Offsides: Gosport 4, Weston 3.
Free kicks conceded: Gosport 8, Weston 6.
Referee: Lee Venamore (Maidstone). Average game.
Weston squad: Purnell, Mitchell (Jordan 85), Barnes, Edge, Mawford, Fortune, Cane, Watkins, Ash, Grubb (Camper 84), Llewellyn. Subs (not used): Brown, Burton.
ON Saturday, Weston have another home game when Maidenhead United provide the opposition and Weston will be looking to get revenge for a 6-2 trouncing when the sides met in October.