Seagulls share the points with Gosport
- Credit: Archant
Weston were held to a draw by Gosport Borough, despite the Seagulls having the better of the chances.
GOSPORT BOROUGH 1
WHEN Gosport visited the Woodspring Stadium back in August, they ran out easy 5-0 winners. But if the Hampshire-based outfit thought they were in for an easy passage in the return fixture, they were in for a nasty surprise.
From the side that started at Whitehawk, Jordan Tillson had returned to Exeter City at the end of his loan period, and Joe McClennan was not available. So Olly Barnes slotted into the defence and Olly Watkins spearheaded the attack with Bradley Ash.
Playing down the slight slope in the first half, Weston dominated, with home keeper Nathan Ashmore bringing off a string of first-class saves to deny Watkins, Dayle Grubb, Ash, Jacob Cane and Jake Llewellyn and Gosport barely able to get out of their own half.
Weston’s pressure paid off on 30 minutes when, from their seventh corner taken by Grubb, Barnes got in front of his marker to head firmly past Ashmore.
- 1 Two cases of Omicron Covid variant in Somerset after PARTY, say officials
- 2 Convicted murderer to appeal against sentence - claiming media footage ‘impeded’ fair trial
- 3 A38 crash leaves passenger with 'potentially life-threatening injuries'
- 4 Rural 12-acre plot to be developed
- 5 50 arrests made in SIX DAYS after launch of Christmas drink-driving campaign
- 6 ELECTION: By-election candidate announced by Conservatives
- 7 Eight people hit with fines for public space breaches in Weston
- 8 Band to fundraise for Weston General radio station
- 9 Weston nursing home revs up for Rosa Ferrari's 100th birthday celebrations
- 10 ELECTION: Labour announce Weston Central ward candidate
After the interval, Gosport made a couple of changes and came more into the game, but Ashmore was the busier of the two keepers. However, in an isolated attack on 77 minutes, substitute Tom Dunford cut in from the right and fired low under Luke Purnell for an undeserved share of the points.
Goals: Gosport, Dunford (77), Weston Barnes (30).
Shots on target: Gosport 4, Weston 8.
Shots off target: Gosport 3, Weston 4.
Corners: Gosport 7, Weston 8.
Offsides: Gosport 4, Weston 3.
Free kicks conceded: Gosport 8, Weston 6.
Referee: Lee Venamore (Maidstone). Average game.
Weston squad: Purnell, Mitchell (Jordan 85), Barnes, Edge, Mawford, Fortune, Cane, Watkins, Ash, Grubb (Camper 84), Llewellyn. Subs (not used): Brown, Burton.
ON Saturday, Weston have another home game when Maidenhead United provide the opposition and Weston will be looking to get revenge for a 6-2 trouncing when the sides met in October.