Seagulls slip to fourth successive defeat
- Credit: Archant
Weston fell to their fourth straight Vanarama Conference South defeat against 10-man Whitehawk.
WESTON crashed to their fourth straight Vanarama Conference South defeat against a Whitehawk side reduced to 10 men on 78 minutes. Despite losing, Weston remain in 14th spot in the table.
Substitute Pa Saikou Kujabi was shown a straight red card for bringing down Weston’s Olly Watkins who was through on goal.
You may also want to watch:
With Jamie Lucas returned to Bristol Rovers, Bradley Ash led the attack and Jamie Edge was in midfield in place of Aaron Brown, the only changes from the side beaten by Concord Rangers.
The Seagulls made a positive start, with Dayle Grubb and Joe McClennan forcing good saves from home keeper Craig Ross. The nearest the home side came was when Jake Robinson fired over the Weston crossbar on 28 minutes.
- 1 Fears for Weston General Hospital A&E's future after top doctor resigns
- 2 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 5 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 6 Christmas lights display for Weston Hospicecare
- 7 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 8 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 9 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Much against the run of play, Whitehawk took the lead on 36 minutes when, from Scott Neilson’s corner kick, Tom Cadmore rose above the defence to beat Luke Purnell with a strong header.
Four minutes after the interval Weston drew level when Clayton Fortune put Grubb through the defence and he cut the ball back from the bye-line for substitute Olly Watkins, who had replaced Ash for the second half, to beat Ross from close range.
After the dismissal of Kujabi, Weston forced a string of corners with McClennan forcing another good save from Ross.
Whitehawk were depending on isolated raids and on 88 minutes, forced another corner. This time, Sam Gargan met Sam Deering’s flag kick to beat Purnell on his near post to seal the win.
Goals: Hawks, Cadmore (36), Gargan (88). Weston, Watkins (49).
Shots on target: Hawks 6, Weston 4.
Shots off target: Hawks 7, Weston 4.
Corners: Hawks 5, Weston 12.
Offsides: Hawks 1, Weston 1.
Free kicks conceded: Hawks 13, Weston 5.
Referee: Lloyd Wood. Good game
Bookings: Hawks, Kissock, Kujabi (red).
Weston squad: Purnell, Mitchell (Barnes 83), Tillson, Edge, Cane, Fortune, McClennan, Mawford, Ash (Watkins 46), Grubb (Camper 90), Llewellyn. Subs (not used): Brown, Burton.
WESTON have a busy Easter weekend, with a trip to Gosport Borough on Saturday and a home game against bottom club Staines Town on Bank Holiday Monday, both games kicking off at 3pm.