Seagulls slip up in final match of the season

Weston AFC v Basingstoke.

Weston AFC v Basingstoke. - Credit: Archant

Weston lost their final Vanarama Conference South game of the season to Basingstoke Town, after being reduced to 10 men.



WESTON ended their final Vanarama Conference South game of the season with 10 men as they slipped to another defeat against a Basingstoke squad who have reached the play-offs.

Goalkeeper Dan Jackson was shown a straight red card on 77 minutes by Radstock referee Richard Hulme for bringing down Basingstoke’s Lloyd Macklin in the penalty area when through on goal.

You may also want to watch:

Manager Ryan Northmore experimented by omitting regular full-backs Pierce Mitchell, who ended his loan spell from Bristol Rovers and Jake Llewellyn with Jamie Edge and Aaron Brown joining Tom Jordan and Clayton Fortune in the back four.

The squad made a positive start, with Joe McClennan making some strong runs down the left and forcing an early corner. In further attacks, Dayle Grubb was just wide with an angled effort as was Kane Ingram from distance and Bradley Ash, while Olly Watkins tested keeper Stuart Moore.

Most Read

As Basingstoke got into the game, Simon Dunn fired just over and then was narrowly wide as was Jamie Brown.

Weston took the lead a minute into stoppage time at the end of the first-half when Jacob Kane put Watkins through to outstrip his marker and beat keeper Stuart Moore.

Straight from the start of the second half, Watkins again went close, but then at the other end, Chris Flood’s shot came off the home crossbar and was turned behind for the first of three successive corners.

The equaliser came on 49 minutes when, from Manny Williams’ flag kick, substitute Nick Bignall headed past Jackson from close range.

Minutes later, Bignall saw his effort just skim the home crossbar and at the other end, substitute Sid Camper, who took over from Ash, was just wide and Watkins had a strong effort beaten out by Moore.

Then came the dismissal of Jackson, Luke Purnell taking over and Weston withdrew McClennan. Basingstoke’s Tom Bird scored the winner from the penalty spot.


Goals: Weston, Watkins (45+1). Basingstoke: Bignall (49), Bell (penalty 82).

Shots on target: Weston 4, Basingstoke 2.

Shots off target: Weston 6, Basingstoke 8.

Corners: Weston 2, Basingstoke 6.

Offsides: Weston 0, Basingstoke 3.

Free kicks conceded: Weston 7, Basingstoke 7.

Referee: Richard Hulme (Radstock). Missed several incidents.

Bookings: Weston, Jackson (red).

Attendance: 231.

Weston squad: Jackson, Edge, McClennan (Purnell 78), Brown, Jordan, Fortune (Barnes 39), Cane, Ingram, Ash (Camper 57), Grubb, Watkins. Subs (not used): Mitchell, Sneddon-Coombes.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus