Seagulls through to the next round of the FA Cup

Weston defeated Frome Town to progress into the third qualifying round of the FA Cup.



WESTON successfully overcame a potential banana skin situation as the progressed to the third qualifying round of the FA Cup at Badgers Hill and they pick up �4,500 for their troubles.

This writer was at odds to understand the tactics of the home team. In the first half, they dominated long stretches of play and Weston must consider themselves lucky to be in the lead by the interval. But in the second half, after going further behind, they seemed content to limit the damage by packing their defence and did not register a shot on target.

You may also want to watch:

In the absence of influential central defender Matt Villis, Weston manager Craig Laird recruited loan signing Immanuel Parry from Stoke City and the tall youngster slotted well into the defence and stood up well to a baptism of fire early in the game.

Frome made an explosive start with Lewis Powell forcing Weston keeper Lloyd Irish into a full-length save in the first minute from Aaron Ledgister’s cross. A minute later, former Weston favourite Dave Gilroy tested Irish, as did Nathan Auckland minutes later.

Most Read

As Weston tried to get into the game, Nabi Diallo, who was here, there and everywhere in midfield, went close on 28 minutes and two minutes later, forced a full-length save from home keeper Darren Chitty.

Frome’s best chance came on 37 minutes, following their first corner, when Matt Smith thumped a 35-yard effort off the angle of Weston’s post and bar.

But it all went wrong for the home side on 42 minutes when Weston’s Chas Hemmings played a high ball into the six-yard box. Chitty called bu failed to come and central defender Dean Flockton left it to the keeper, but Kane Ingram nipped in between the pair and fired into the empty net to give Weston an unexpected lead.

Six minutes into the second half, with the home defence retreating, Ingram, wide on the right, found Ross Stearn wide on the left in acres of space who had time to control the ball, make ground and curl a shot round Chitty from the edge of the penalty area.

After that, Weston were in control and in one passage of play strung 20 passes together without being able to break down a packed defence.

After making a treble substitution, Frome forced a couple of late corners, but they failed to register a single shot on target and Weston finished comfortable winners.


Goals: Weston, Ingram (42), Stearn (51).

Shots on target: Frome 4, Weston 4.

Shots off target: Frome 5, Weston 4.

Corners: Frome 5, Weston 4.

Offsides: Frome 2, Weston 0.

Free kicks conceded: Frome 10, Weston 9.

Referee: Adrian Quelch (New Milton). Reasonable game.

Bookings: Frome, Flockton. Weston, Parry, Diallo.

Attendance: 256.

Weston squad: Irish, Price, Slocoombe, Diallo, Parry, Laird, Stearn (McGlaggon (79), Kirk, Hemmings, Trowbridge (Kington 71), Ingram (Grubb 62). Subs (not used): Monks, Pepperell.

ON Satuday, Weston have a home Blue Square South encounter when Eastbourne Borough provide the opposition at the Woodspring Stadium (3pm).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter