Seaman shines in Weston Golf Club to win stableford

A view of Weston Golf Club

A view of Weston Golf Club - Credit: Mark Atherton

Weston Golf Club seniors played a recent stableford competition which was won by Geoff Seaman with 43 points.

The runner up was Aussie Denison on 41 while Steve Thomas took third place from Ian Roberts in fourth as both scored 38 points.

In their friendly against Mendip Spring Allan Tucker and John Dixon were never behind as they went on to win three and two against Kevin Grinstead and Mike Thomas.

Dave Bickell and Tony Barry found giving shots to Mark Kenny and Richard Dowsing tough as the latter notched up a three and one victory.

Acting skipper Robin Webbb and partner Terry Waite proved too strong for Alan Sutton and Andrew Ashford going down two and one.

A sound performance in game four from Andy Chambers and Paul Burns saw them to a three and one win against Brian Milne and Paul Bailey.

The largest margin of victory went to Graham Quick and John Poole as they beat Colin Little and Mark Brasher.

Most Read

In match six Tony Roper and Seaman were all square at the turn but a strong back nine gave them a two and one success against Clive Rides and Howard Sims. 

The overall result was a win for Weston 5-1.

Next up was Wells and in the first game Ed Langford and John Humphrey had a tight tussle and managed to get two ahead but their opponents salvagec a half.

In match two Rob Filer and Scott McKechnie were all square at the turn and with the lead changing hands over the back nine they lost one down.

In the captains match Paul Chesney and Allan Tucker lost the first but a superb birdie by Tucker at the second got them level before getting to five up by the eleventh including two more birdies, however, the visitors pegged them back to one as the home pair held on to a one up win.

A solid victory followed for David Andow and John Dixon as they raced to a four holes lead at the ninth before running out five and four winners.

Match five saw Bill Diamond and Tony Barry take an early lead but by the turn were three down.

They managed to get it back to one down but that’s how the game ended. The last match was close as the lead changed hands throughout but Graham Quick and John Poole won five holes on the back nine to win two and one.

The overall score was a win for Weston by three and a half to two and a half. Nearest the pin went to Tony Barry.

Against Oake Manor Graham Quick and Seaman who were involved in a tight game.

After both teams had the lead over the front nine, a solid back nine saw the hosts pair win by three and two.

Match two was a two and one win for Dave Meredith and Scott McKechnie in a tussle.

They were never down and were three over par gross including a birdie each, versus the visitors six over gross and one birdie.

In the captain’s match, Paul Chesney and Rob Filer saw opposing captain John Beer birdie the first with Chesney replying with one at the second in yet another close encounter, which saw the home pair two up at the turn.

All square after sixteen holes, Filer won the next and they held on for a one up victory.

Match four was another hard fought battle as Dave Snowdon and Pete Harday secured a well earned half. 

In game five Matt Lazenby and Allan Tucker found it tough going and were four down after nine and despite getting back to two down eventually lost three and two.

In the final tie John Humphrey and Bill Reynolds took an early lead only to lose five on the bounce from which they never recovered in a six and four defeat. The overall match result was a win for Weston three and half to two and half.

Dave Snowdon nearest the pin on the third hole.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter