Seasiders brought down by Concord
- Credit: Archant
Weston were beaten 2-0 by Concord Rangers on their first-ever visit to Canvey Island.
CONCORD RANGERS 2
FOR the second successive away game, Weston failed to score, this time on their first-ever visit to Canvey Island, Essex, based Concord Rangers.
This defeat leaves them outside the play-off places with several tough away games to come, at Bishop’s Stortford, FA Trophy finalists Gosport Borough, league leaders Bromley and Basingstoke Town, while at home they face Staines Town, Farnborough, Havant and Waterlooville and Chelmsford City.
You may also want to watch:
Weston were missing skipper Ben Kirk (ill) and defender Martyn Slocombe (injured), but welcomed back Jordan Walker, who had missed the previous four games through injury.
On a hard bumpy surface, Weston failed to come to terms with the conditions, failing to keep possession with passes going astray and players losing the ball far too easily.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Weston businesses move online for second lockdown
- 3 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 4 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 7 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 8 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 9 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 10 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
Despite Weston forcing three early corners, Concord created the better of the chances with keeper Lloyd Irish doing well to cut out Steve Cawley’s cross and Lewis Taaffe was just over and Cawley hit the visitors’ crossbar.
On the stroke of half-time, Concord broke the deadlock when from the best flowing move of the half, Gary Ogilvie, Joe Gardner and Taaffe combined to put Sam Collins through to beat Irish from 10 yards.
Four minutes into the second half, Concord struck again when Gardiner’s low cross into the Weston six-yard box was spilled by Irish at full stretch and Cawley was on hand to fire into the far corner of the net.
As Weston tried to come back, Naby Diallo was just over and Alec Fiddes fired narrowly wide, while Dayle Grubb’s free kick was turned behind by home keeper Jamie Butler at full stretch.
Two minutes from time, Concord almost scored again, but substitute Tony Stokes fired over with an empty goal at his mercy.
WESTON have a home game on Saturday, when Staines Town provide the opposition (3pm) and the Seagulls will be looking to avoiding a league double, having lost 2-1 in London in November, the goal scored by Ashley Kington.
Goals: Concord, Collins (45), Cawley (49).
Shots on target: Concord 4, Weston 1.
Shots off target: Concord 4, Weston 2.
Corners: Concord 3, Weston 6.
Offsides: Concord 6, Westoon 2.
Free kicks conceded: Concord 11, Weston 10.
Referee: Carl Fitch (London). Good game.
Bookings: Concord, Banton. Weston, Jamie Laird.
Weston squad: Irish, Fiddes (Ingram 67), Walker (Ash 67), Trowbridge, Jamie Laird, Gregson, Grubb, Diallo, Hemmings, Kington, Callum Laird. Subs (not used): Knowles, Camper, Purnell.