Seasiders chalk up their second win of the season
- Credit: Archant
Weston secured their second victory of the season at home to Chard.
WESTON 36 pts
CHARD 7 pts
WESTON won for the second time this season when their forwards overpowered Chard at the Recreation Ground.
Their victory by six tries to one was a well-deserved margin, but despite the difference, the visitors put in a good performance, but they were only able to pierce the Seasiders’ rock solid defence once.
You may also want to watch:
In the 34th minute, Weston’s line-out failed near their own line and visiting prop Luke Aplin took maximum advantage to touch down for centre Mike Lawton to convert.
But by then, Weston were already 19 points to the good having scored their first try after only 26 seconds.
- 1 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 2 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 3 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 4 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
- 5 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 6 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 7 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 8 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 9 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 10 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
The scorer was flanker Shaun Eaton who was on hand to charge down an attempted clearance. Chris Young converted and the fly-half was soon adding the goal points to a try by No 8 Paul Morrissey.
In the 16th minute Chard were dismantled at a five-metre set piece and scrum-half Hayden Tuttiett was the beneficiary as he scored his first try for the club.
After Aplin’s score to reduce the deficit it was centre Harry Jones who sent Weston towards victory with a splendid 40-metre break to send the interval score to 24-7.
The second half was an untidy affair with the Seasiders spurning many chances through poor handling and they were only able to add two more tries.
Tuttiett’s clean break gave the ever-alert Morrissey his second try which Young majorised and Eaton’s long charge eventually provided their sixth try for acting skipper Ashley Russell.
There are no matches for any of the Seasiders’ senior teams on Saturday, but they could be looking for a victory at Oxford Harlequins on November 15.
Weston: N Birzins, O Caton, H Jones, S Edwards, M Watkins, C Young, H Tuttiett, D Crompton, C Withers, O Streeter, A Russell (c), A Glen, S Eaton, R Johnston, P Morrissey. Replacement used: D Price, J Andrews, J Skelton.
WESTON’S Somerset Cup match against Bridgwater, originally scheduled for November 8 or 9, will now be played on November 29 at the Recreation Ground. The kick-off will be at 2.30pm.