Seasiders crash at home
Weston 1st XI failed to capitalise on their recent good form, losing at home to Goatacre by seven wickets.
WESTON 1st XI failed to capitalise on their recent good form, losing to Goatacre by seven wickets.
Batting first, Weston struggled early on against some excellent bowling from the Goatacre opening pair of Craig Gibbens and Matthew House. Weston were in serious trouble at 35-5, but Shabil Ahmed showed character and managed to put the Goatacre bowlers under some pressure, striking 10 boundaries in his innings of 70.
Ahmed was supported well by John Davidson (19), Chris Davidson (25) and late cameos from Sean Stringer (11 not out) and Adam Davies (14 not out) allowed Weston to reach 193-8 from their 50 overs.
Goatacre set about their run chase well and got off to a good start and had reached 61 before the loss of their first wicket, when Pocock was caught behind off the bowling of Chris Davidson.
You may also want to watch:
However, at the other end, Ed Kilbee was batting superbly. He looked comfortable throughout his innings and eventually finished 103 not out, anchoring the innings well.
The Weston bowlers failed to build any pressure on the Goatacre batsmen and it proved to be a day to forget as the visitors reached their target with eight overs to spare.
- 1 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 2 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 3 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 4 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 5 Weston woman celebrates a century
- 6 Chef with Michelin star experience shares 'ultimate winters seafood' recipe
- 7 Council reveals cost for new primary school
- 8 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 9 North Somerset Council urges businesses to apply for grant funding
- 10 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
In touch CRM man of the match was Shabil Ahmed.
A Fear lbw Gibbens 5
S Trego b House 0
G Morgan b Gibbens 10
R Turner c&b Iles 9
P Stringer lbw Gibbens 2
J Davidson b Iles 19
S Ahmed st Parish b Dawson 70
C Davidson b House 25
S Stringer not out 11
A Davies not out 14
Total (8 wkts) 193
E Kilbee not out 103
N Pocock c J Davidson b C Davidson 25
L Edwards c J Davidson b Allen 17
J Haines b Allen 5
J Wilkins not out 25
Total (3 wkts) 194
Bowling: S Stringer 5.2-0-36-0; A Davies 3-0-19-0; A Fear 5-0-17-0; C Davidson 4-1-15-1; S Trego 10-0-43-0; S Ahmed 6-0-30-0; A Allen 7-0-32-2.
This weekend, the first XI make the long journey to Westbury & District (1pm), while the seconds host Cheltenham (1.30pm). The third XI travel to Frome, with the 4ths at Wedmore (both 2pm start). On Sunday, the fifth team are at home to Congresbury (2pm).