Seasiders gain promotion with a game to spare
- Credit: Archant
Weston men gained promotion with a match to spare after defeating Bristol & West 7-3
BRISTOL & WEST 3
WESTON gained promotion with a game to go after beating Bristol and West.
The visitors started brightly and thwarted the usual slick passing game of the home side. They missed a penalty flick before they took a shock lead. Weston still struggled to react and went two down after a penalty corner.
You may also want to watch:
An injury gave Weston the chance to sort themselves out and soon switched into gear, scoring four goals in seven minutes to enter the break 4-2 up, Roy Beer and an early hat-trick from Nathan Hancock with the goals.
Weston started the second half well, maintaining possession for long periods and stretching Bristol wider to exploit gaps. Hancock scored another and Dave Beer scored his fourth of the season.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 7 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Two charged with burglary and fraud
Sam Neate was unfortunate to have his goal disallowed and Hancock wrapped things up with his fifth. The Mercedes Benz of Weston man of the match went to Matt Godwin.
The Weston squad of Matt Godwin, Paul Ninnis, Rob Duckett, Kyle Sully, James Hector, Dave Holland, Stuart Westcott, CJ Neate, Toby Brees, Julian Mobsby, Ian Lucas, Matt Kearsey, Sam Neate (c), Dave Beer, Jake Turner, Rich Heal, Cam Slater, Will Mudie, Nick Bily, George Davis, Chris Bryant, Nathan Hancock, Roy Beer and Chris Etchells can be proud of a successive season.
Weston head to rivals North Somerset on Saturday to finish the season off, 4pm start at Gordano School.