Seasiders in wait for relegation news

WESTON travelled to relegated Exeter side Isca needing a win to give any hope of survival in the Gerrard South West and Wales Premier Division 2

Isca 1 Weston 2WESTON travelled to relegated Exeter side Isca needing a win to give any hope of survival in the Gerrard South West and Wales Premier Division 2.Weston produced a gutsy performance to gain the win they needed, but fellow relegation contenders West Glos also managed a win which means Weston will have to wait on National League results which determine the number of sides to be relegated. Weston's good form continued and Hart was unfortunate not to put them ahead in the opening minute when his diving effort went narrowly wide. Soon afterwards Bearsby was released on the left and after holding off a couple of defenders, crossed to Hart whose hard low shot left the Isca keeper stranded to put Weston ahead.Isca showed great determination and fought their way back, going close on several occasions, but Weston keeper Roy Beer was on hand to make some crucial saves.Chambers enjoyed his form as sweeper while Summers performed solidly at the back. McConkey controlled the midfield well which enabled Weston to maintain their lead.The second half became more open as it progressed with Weston failing to keep possession and putting themselves under unnecessary pressure. Isca soon forced penalty corners which were well defended by Dennis and Grant. The home side's pressure soon resulted in an equaliser when a well-struck penalty corner that was clearly rising above the legal height and going wide was deflected in by Dave Beer and allowed by the umpires.Long rallied his side and Weston responded with some great attacking moves with Price and Long linking well with Hart while McConkey's passing was of high quality.Bearsby's efforts in the Isca half were rewarded with penalty corners and he scored the vital goal when he capitalised on Hart's wide injection to fire an unstoppable shot past the advancing Isca defenders to give Weston the lead.Weston held out to gain maximum points which should be enough to retain Premier 2 status for next season. Chambers and Summers deservedly shared the man of the match award while Long won the Anchor award for his aerial display.This was Weston's final game and the squad should take credit for their performance throughout the second half of the season. The players' player of the season was won by Hart.

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus